What Kind of Milage is everyone getting?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40+ in the city!? I must get a Spark NOW!!

I just rounded over 3k miles and MPG has never been better...Im guessing around 3k is break-in. 100% around town and on surface streets (no hwy) I am getting 40+. The avg on my OBC reads 41+ right no

Just filled up today and my avg. was 41.87 for my last tank.

Posted Images

I have found that comparing my mileage with others does one of two things. It either. Makes me feel like something is wrong with my car or mine is better than most. Depending on what others post. Then I come to the conclusion that I don't know how other people drive, or the terrain they drive in or even what they consider highway and city driving. So I just post my mileage what I have observed for myself and try not to worry if its more or less than what others get. I get what I get....

About 33 city 40-45 hwy, and 37 overall...

Angry bird. You are right in the median for that car. I do about te same most time. My city driving gets me better but my avg and highway are about the same as you. Interstate kills me unless I use better than 87 octane. Getting on and off the interstate and then driving around my neighborhood where there's a stop sign every few feet. If I get on a nice US highway and stay around 55-60mph I can get 50+mpg.

Angry bird. You are right in the median for that car. I do about te same most time. My city driving gets me better but my avg and highway are about the same as you. Interstate kills me unless I use better than 87 octane. Getting on and off the interstate and then driving around my neighborhood where there's a stop sign every few feet. If I get on a nice US highway and stay around 55-60mph I can get 50+mpg.

I have found that 55-65 is the sweet spot on the highway for mine. I would love to try it out on some flatland driving, too many mountains and hills around here.

I can drive from here to Knoxville on the interstate doing from 65 to 70 and average about 43mpg. But coming back from Knoxville to here I only get about 40.

I feel it is more downhill going to Knoxville and more uphill coming back.

My gas mileage is not nearly as good as most posters. I get around 26-28mpg around town and 32-36mpg on hyway trips at 75-85mph. Automatic 2013 with A/C on most of the time. Best mileage I have had was 38mpg long trip on cruise set at 65mph with AC on.

I use 5/20 synthetic oil and regular 87 octane with 10% Ethanol blend. Tried a higher octane with no Ethanol and got slightly better mileage on longer trips...just enough to make up the xtra cost of higher octane. I was told by my Mechanic the Ethanol blend helps keep the engine and fuel system cleaner. He noticed heads and valves were cleaner on cars using the 10% Ethanol blend. Mind you, I have 205/50/15 tires that don't help the mileage either...just a smoother ride.

My gas mileage is not nearly as good as most posters. I get around 26-28mpg around town and 32-36mpg on hyway trips at 75-85mph.

I'm getting roughly the same around town, with the 4 spd. auto, averaging 29-30mpg. I am in a highly congested city, with red lights every couple of blocks, stop signs all around the place, school buses, pedestrian crossings, etc., etc. I know it is capable of better, I've seen it rise on a few highway trips, but around town, I spend more time idling, with my foot on the brake, and it is rare to even hit fourth gear. I actually am surprised it is doing this well.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello guys!

I am happy to be part of this forum. I just got a 2014 Chevrolet Spark LS with the 1.2 engine and manual transmission. It has around 40 k miles and I am the second owner.

I just reset the fuel efficiency info on the dash and after two days of using it I get 42 miles to the gallon. I am loving this car!! I drive to work 5-6 times a week on a highway.

I have a couple of questions:

First, when the car is park  it makes a tin noise from the top of the engine. After reading a couple of stories in Utube it seems to be that the injectors are the ones making such a noise and it is due to quality. So is everyone experiencing such a noise coming from the top of the engine ?

Second, I watched a video of a guy that covered the bottom intake on the front of the car and he was getting 62 miles to the gallon!!!???  anyone has info on this?  Do you know if this would represent a risk to over heat the engine? Does anyone here tried that?

Thank you.

On 11/23/2014 at 0:30 PM, Angrybird12 said:

I have found that comparing my mileage with others does one of two things. It either. Makes me feel like something is wrong with my car or mine is better than most. Depending on what others post. Then I come to the conclusion that I don't know how other people drive, or the terrain they drive in or even what they consider highway and city driving. So I just post my mileage what I have observed for myself and try not to worry if its more or less than what others get. I get what I get....

About 33 city 40-45 hwy, and 37 overall...

On 11/23/2014 at 0:30 PM, Angrybird12 said:

Above post is the best because it is reality based. Everyone has different driving habits, use different grade and brand of fuels, weather conditions are different, and traffic is different. After 54 years of driving new cars, what I know for sure is that my biggest car expense after purchase is not gas mileage, but it is how many repair bills are incurred. 

Edited by Bobby MSME
9 hours ago, GTCARS2006 said:

Second, I watched a video of a guy that covered the bottom intake on the front of the car and he was getting 62 miles to the gallon!!!???  anyone has info on this?  Do you know if this would represent a risk to over heat the engine? Does anyone here tried that?

Do not believe any unbelievable stories! If it is too good to be true, it is most like not true!! Car manufacturers are under big pressure by law, to maintain average gas mileage below a certain number. Do you really think GM would not put a cover on the lower air intake if that makes 50% jump in gas mileage? The story teller was most likely seeking attention, which his wife does not give him.  

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

My 2022 CVT got 41.5 mpg (calculated via on-board system) during an average speed of 66mph, but sometimes hitting 80mph :shoppingcart_:    It was shocking to me that the car went 42 miles on 1 gallon of fuel #hammerdown

Edited by ZMMMMMMM