What Kind of Milage is everyone getting?

2013 LS with the manual transmission. Just rolled passed 11,000 miles - installed K&N air filter, modified intake per this sites posts & swapped over to Mobil 1 at 10k. I'm getting a steady 42 MPG with a mix of highway (70+) & city driving.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40+ in the city!? I must get a Spark NOW!!

I just rounded over 3k miles and MPG has never been better...Im guessing around 3k is break-in. 100% around town and on surface streets (no hwy) I am getting 40+. The avg on my OBC reads 41+ right no

Just filled up today and my avg. was 41.87 for my last tank.

Posted Images

I've been racking up the miles (and I'm not kidding)

Started out at approx. 36 MPG....now I'm averaging 39-43 MPG, last tank was 41.3

I've got the manual LS so no cruise. AC on almost the entire time varied city/highway driving

Average speed is about 39MPH if that helps.

Mine seems to love the 55-65 MPH range. Instant typically shows 45-50 MPG at this range once I'm up to speed which is about the same as it gets doing 45.

I try to keep it in 5th as much as possible since that seems to be the sweet gear for MPG and always ALWAYS shift into neutral when I see a light turn yellow or red ahead of me and coast in. The computer seems to be very accurate with the AVG MPG

You might pick up a bit of mileage by leaving the car in gear when decelerating. The cars have DFCO - deceleration fuel cut off. When you let off the gas in gear, it will shut off the fuel injectors if above a certain RPM instead of using a small amount to idle.

I just put fuel in until the pump stops, that's enough. After more than 400 gallons my mileage should be a pretty good average. Yes sometimes I get very low and sometimes very high readings which are normally due to error with the pump shut off. In the end it all works out based on fuel used and miles driven, not entirely worried about each tank.

42 MPG average! LS with 5-speed - non-ethanol 87 octane fuel, intake mod, K&N filter. A lot of freeway driving at 70+ with a mix of stop & go in town.

Just my opinion, but think people should post the On Star reading like this to prove their mileage claims - it's VERY easy to reset the average on the gauge & make it read really high for a time.

post-963-0-58841400-1382996934_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

42 MPG average! LS with 5-speed - non-ethanol 87 octane fuel, intake mod, K&N filter. A lot of freeway driving at 70+ with a mix of stop & go in town.

Just my opinion, but think people should post the On Star reading like this to prove their mileage claims - it's VERY easy to reset the average on the gauge & make it read really high for a time.

The car's calculator isn't very good (but closer than most!). The car/OnStar usually projects a higher MPG than what it actually is. Fuelly is calculated by miles/gallons at the pump. Which have been terrible lately, for some reason.

Edited by jibb3r

Well Eva, our LT, took her first road trip today. So I did some real world gas mileage testing.

I guess some things to note first is I put the tires at 45 PSI cold. Obviously you know what I've done mod wise. If it matters, I'm currently running Valvoline Dexos approved 5W20. And use 87 Octane; not ethanol free. Oh, there were two adults, and two 7 year old boys in the car. I'd say no more than 70 lbs in the trunk.

When we filled up for the test run, I reset the average speed, and MPG average. We drove 197.8 miles, and the MPG gauge was saying 38.5 MPG.

IMG_20131130_162526_224_zps5610438e.jpg

I must note that while the test run, I tried my hardest to get the highest possible numbers. I used cruise control at 75 MPH, (speed limit was 70) and while accelerating at all, I did not use cruise. (if you drive an auto, you know how it likes to rev up) We made one stop at a rest stop and while re entering the interstate, I did not go over 3K RPM. We never used the defrost, or AC. No heat either. Traffic never stopped, so we did no idling. When we stopped to refill, the car said average speed of 71.4 MPH

IMG_20131130_162459_179_zps44ba3ee2.jpg

It took 5.168 gallons to fill up, giving us a real world MPG of 38.27. Not too shabby :) Especially for a 4 speed running 75 MPH. I'd say RPMs were 3200 average.

Edited by tommyspark
  • 2 weeks later...

I must not live right, since the temperatures dropped, and we went over to winter blend, I am having trouble hanging on to 29. Too congested around my world, lights, and traffic, rarely do I hit fourth gear, auto trans, can't bitch though, that's what it is advertised at.