What is the top speed of the Spark? Has anyone topped out their sparks yet? I got mine up to about 92 but I was in kinda heavy traffic so I couldn't actually top it out. I was just curious how fast my little guy can actually get to before the governor kicks in. Also does anyone know what the top speed would be if you took off the governor?

This car doesn't have a governor on it? I'd be surprised if it didn't. I've found you can usually tell the top speed of a car from the type of tires that are recommended for this car. From what I've read in Car and Driver Magazine, the top speed is supposed to be 90 MPH, which I believe is wrong. Another person I talked to online said he got his spark up to 105. He didn't specify if he was going down a hill or not though. Frick, the dang thing has a speedo that goes up to 120!! My cavalier is governed at 106.

Edited by Trancer07
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is that the trip meter or odometer? If it is the odometer at 993 miles then you need to put a few more miles on it before it is ready for that type of driving, right around 2000 is where most of us see the fuel mileage stabilize at the higher numbers, so I would assume that top speed runs should also be after that happens.

How did it feel at that speed?

• 6 months later...

i managed to get mine up to 112(ish) on the highway. lol was at 1 in the morning so no one on the road. my car had 14000 miles on it at the time. it drove very smooth but the steering is EXTREMELY twitchy at that speed. be very careful not to jerk when going that fast. mpg went down to about 19 and my rpm was pushing 6k, so I'm pretty sure thats going to be about the top speed these cars will go before the gov kicks in.

I do take mine occasionally on the toll road, if I'm down that way and the traffic is bad I pay not to drive in it. That toll road has a 85mph limit, so I go 90 on it, I actually am comfortable going that fast in this car, I only found it twitchy in strong crosswinds. The reason why I don't use the tollway much is because I have to pay nearly $10 to use it, and my mpgs drop to 30, I can get the same or better in a larger car, like a Cruze or Elantra, which are much more aerodynamic. The Spark only has the advantage in the city, under 65mph, and isn't the best choice for those like me that do more interstate miles at the high speed limits in this state (TX).

My commute to work is 46 miles round trip. Car sees that 4 times a week. Never going over 70mph. Only time I got it to 80mph was to pass a semi that was spewing corn all over the road (and to catch up to my friend's supercharged Cavalier on the way to a car meet).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...