Oil level?

So I had the dealer change the oil last week... Thought I saw extra blue smoke coming from the back the other day getting on the highway and my milage for this tank is really poor... Washed the salt off today and checked the oil.

Do you need to check the oil with the engine hot or with the engine cold? If it is supposed to be hot then they put in about a quart too much, I'll have to wait to check it cold.

At least the put the correct filter on it, but they did spill oil all over the top of the engine and exhaust manifold. And they put in Mobile 1 5w20 which I find odd because the last time I checked that oil is not Dexos approved.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I changed our LTs oil earlier this week for the first time. The manual says 4 quarts. This sounded like a lot for a 1.2 so I put 3.5, and it filled it up; maybe even just a hair over....

When you took the drain plug out, does it use a crush washer like all my other imports used, or does it have a reusable plug seal? I'm going to change my oil soon, and it's the first time I'm doing it on this car. I need to know if I'm buying a crush washer when I buy the filter.

Its reusable/ built in. Start w 3 quarts of oil..... 4 is way too much

Thanks, most on the forum just pay their dealers to do it for them, and the standard reply is IDK. I will start with 3.5 qts and check it from there. Seems the owners manuals are wrong, or half a qt was still in the pan when you changed yours. I have ramps, so I'm certain most of the oil will drain out. I will report back on how much oil it takes to fill full from a truly empty pan with filter change.

Edited by austex04

I seriously recommend starting w 3 quarts man. 3.5 was way too much in my spark. I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but in the world of 4 wheelers they say no two are the same. Even if we both had the same one, same size motor, same year etc, they say they're not the same. mine may take x amount of oil, and yours will take another amount. The same could hold true for the Spark?!

Don't forget to fill the filter first or your level won't be accurate until you run the engine.

Think so? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything along those lines, but the filters are so tiny IDK if it would throw off the oil level or not . They can't possible hold more than .3 quarts I wouldn't think....

Plus I checked my oil level both hot and cold like you did. It was easily .5 over both hot and cold.....

I didn't prime the oil filter before filling it up, but at 3.5 quarts, even after driving it, it was still over; way over.

When I changed my oil yesterday, the used oil container I use has qt measuring lines in it. About 3.5 qts came out, including the half cup that came out the old filter. I managed to fill the new filter with about half a cup of oil. Your right, mine only took exactly 3.5 qts total to fill it up to the x full mark on the dipstick. They need to correct that mistake in the owners manual. Btw, it's good to add some oil to the new filter if you can, it helps the new oil pump through the engine faster at start up. My old car had the filter completely sideways, so you couldn't put oil into it before installing it, so you get the valve clatter for that first second when started.

Edited by austex04
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We bought our Spark on April 25, 2014. It had been in the Detroit Auto show and had 210 miles on it when we picked it up. So as part of the deal I had the dealer change the oil prior to delivery. Once we got the car home I checked the oil. It was about 3/8 of an inch above the hash marks that represent full. I took it back to the dealer and told them the engine had been over filled. They kept my car overnight and when I went back to pick it up I was told they checked the oil in a second Spark and it had the same amount of oil as mine. So they sent me on my way. I came home and read the owner’s manual. It clearly states that if the oil is above the full mark to return it to the servicing dealer. So back I go today. Working with the service manager he told me again that mine looked just like the other Spark. I told him I had to go with the owner’s manual as it was the only standard I felt comfortable using. He said not to worry about the level and just drive the car. So I am thinking about taking it to another dealer to hear their version. Who's on first?????