2013 Chevy Spark LT Speedometer drops to 0 when letting off the gas

Hi, yes currently having issue with my 2013 chevy spark had for a bout 6 years. It seems to just die or stall whenever but also when driving the speedometer sometimes does not work and will drop to either 10mph or 0 when letting off the gas. Usually when this occurs my radio tends to decrease in sound despite what dial or number the volume is on.  I have also noticed a great increase in fuel consumption. I took it to autozone and used their diagnostic tool which had 2 possible errors on it with the MAS sensor which I replaced and the Speed sensor which I am looking at replacing. I did read a few forum posts and one said they had taken it to the dealership and still could not figure out what was wrong with it so I'm wondering if I should take to the dealer or replace the speed sensor myself to try and save some $$$. Any help with locating the speed senor on the motor and info about possible solutions would greatly be appreciated

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all! I'm fixing my friend's 2013 Chevy spark LS with the manual transmission. Originally the speedometer would show erratic/random readings whenever in motion. I replaced the vehicle speed sensor, was a pretty easy job, and now the speedometer seems to read correctly but only when you're on the gas. Letting off the gas while in motion and coasting the vehicle makes the speedometer go to about 10 mph and sit there until you hit the gas again. Does not seem to matter what gear you're in, how fast you're going, or where the clutch is. The transmission appears to be leaking some oil out of the passenger side CV axle seal. No CEL. I assume the next step is to plug in a scan tool while driving to see if the PCM reports 10 mph when letting off the gas, at which point it would be the cluster. Would love to hear if anybody has fixed this problem. 

Edit 2/28/22:

Confirmed that it is not the cluster. OBDII data while driving shows the same nonsense speed readings while coasting but normal readings while on the gas. The cluster is displaying the same data on the bus. 

Unfortunately the transmission leak became substantial enough that my friend grenaded the transmission while driving to work with almost no fluid left, so I don't think I'm troubleshooting this issue any further. Good luck all. 

Edited by Moshatz

At this point i have replaced the ecm, replaced the vss, did a transmission flush with new transmission oil. Checked the speedometer and wiring, Checked the ground block connection and connected a new ground to the vss in case the ground was bad and am still having the same issue. The only other idea i can think of is the reluctor being bad. Mine is also leaking out of the passenger side which i am now wondering if it has something to do with dirt getting in and causing wear. Has anyone yet to figure this out? 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:44 AM, Rayray89 said:

Hi, yes currently having issue with my 2013 chevy spark had for a bout 6 years. It seems to just die or stall whenever but also when driving the speedometer sometimes does not work and will drop to either 10mph or 0 when letting off the gas. Usually when this occurs my radio tends to decrease in sound despite what dial or number the volume is on.  I have also noticed a great increase in fuel consumption. I took it to autozone and used their diagnostic tool which had 2 possible errors on it with the MAS sensor which I replaced and the Speed sensor which I am looking at replacing. I did read a few forum posts and one said they had taken it to the dealership and still could not figure out what was wrong with it so I'm wondering if I should take to the dealer or replace the speed sensor myself to try and save some $$$. Any help with locating the speed senor on the motor and info about possible solutions would greatly be appreciated

Did you ever find the issue to your problem Rayray89

• 3 weeks later...

So i have been having the same issue, i have replaced my vehicle speed sensor, and now my speedo work sometimes, generally when accelerating it will read til about 10-15mph and it will sometimes come back after i hit 45mph emphasis on sometimes. while its not readding it will be cutting engine power in and out every few seconds.  i dont have a check engine light on but the brake light and the traction control light. at this point im at a loss, one of my buddys think it might be a reluctor wheel. any advice would be useful .

• 3 weeks later...

Well mine did the same thing as ive been on and off here. The abs sensors caused the power issue with the speedometer problem but the speedometer still drops when letting off the gas accept you still have power.  I did a tranny flush, vss, crank shaft, all abs sensors checked all wiring, changed the ecm to a new one and several mechanics. Although abs will fix the power issue the speedo issue at this point i also believe is the reluctor in the transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out what is wrong with this speedometer problems. It's the passenger side differential bearing wearing out. Which takes out the reluctor wheel and cause the passenger axle seal to leak. Cause speedometer problems. Funny thing chevy use the transmission in the aveo back 2004-2009 and they had the same problems. Chevy never fix anything

20220315_183333.jpg

If anyone else is having this problems and want to drive the car without it turning off. I thing I did is take off the connector for the speed sensor and tape it up so dirt wouldn't get in it. Keep driving it and get on the free way. Until to think your going 70 mph. The computer would go into a different strategy and starting going off the abs speed sensors. But you can't go over 3500 rpm cause the computer would going to fuel cut mode. 

41 minutes ago, jesselyons2002 said:

I found out what is wrong with this speedometer problems. It's the passenger side differential bearing wearing out. Which takes out the reluctor wheel and cause the passenger axle seal to leak. Cause speedometer problems. Funny thing chevy use the transmission in the aveo back 2004-2009 and they had the same problems. Chevy never fix anything

20220315_183333.jpg

Just so you know, This reluctor wheel is suppose to be press onto the differential 

Edited by jesselyons2002