Black Plastic Wheel Nut Caps keep coming off!

Upon driving our new Spark 2LT the 42 miles home from the Dealership a week ago, I found that four of the black Wheel Nut Caps had come off the wheels. I called our Salesman, and he related that these caps tend to work themselves loose as you drive. They screw on to the nuts with a right hand thread ( and un-screw as you drive ). They should have been made with left handed threads. He mailed me four new caps, and told me to tighten the caps good and I should be ok. The new caps arrived yesterday, I installed them and securely tightened the caps on all four wheels. Today my wife took the Spark to run several errands. She put approximately 100 miles on the odometer, and again one of the caps came off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does Chevrolet have any suggestions? I am considering applying some kind of sealant or paint on the threads to keep the caps from working themselves off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

TN Frank

post-419-0-93428000-1357939141_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, I just checked mine, they are nice and tight. Regarding your problem, I would definitely dress the lugs with something to stop the nuts from turning, you can go with the paint, or go for something sticky, like some plumbers putty, or some heat resistant goo, there is all kinds of stuff on the market today, check Home Depot, or Lowes, they will have something.

Good Luck.......

Greg
I bought the Loctite Blue and took off all 16 Caps. Some had molding flash at the bottom that I trimmed off. I applied the Loctite and carefully installed each cap. Most locked down tightly. Three however apparently are holding by the bottom thread, because they spin loose when you try to tighten them down. I applied more Loctite to each of these and snugged them up the best I could. I am letting them cure for a couple of days to see if they hold. If that doesn't work I may try to trim off the bottom thread on the bad ones.
TN Frank

Update:

After almost two weeks, no more problems with the wheel nut caps coming loose. The Loctite Blue did the trick!

Edited by TN Frank
  • 1 month later...