Clutch Pedal Broken (2nd time)

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend has owned a 2012 Spark for a few years now, and yesterday we had a pretty stressful breakdown in the middle of town where the clutch pedal broke clean off. 

This was initially recalled in late 2016, which we completed, but in late 2017 it broke off for the first time at an expense of over £500. It has now gone again, and as we are both struggling a bit at the moment (furloughs etc) I was wondering if anyone else has had the same repeated issues with Chevy and if they were able to cover any fixes due the ineffective recall?

Thanks,

Phil

• 4 months later...

Hello Mate, i had the exact same thing that has just happened to me now. My clutch pedal snapped off and there is no customer service for Chevrolet. I know there is recalls for certain cars but companies are trying to make out asif there isn’t any recalls. The worse thing about it is that im just trying to contact Chevrolet because it shouldn’t be the type of thing that it happening. This is the first time this has happened to my car.

Can you try point me in the right direction please?

Regards

Jim

Hi Everyone,

I joined the forum to see if other people were having the same problem with their chevy spark (2011) clutch as I was. This is the case going by what other members have posted. Brought my Sparks in 2017 and in 2019 the clutch pedal broke in two, this was while we were driving along a busy road.  I say it was the pedal itself that broke but it was not. What snapped in two was the thick block of plastic moulding that is at the very top of the pedal that connects the pedal with the clutch box (not sure that is the correct term for this) I paid the £600 repair bill in 2019 and contacted chevrolet/vauxhall about this. What I did prior to contacting them was some research, found out that in 2015 my car was recalled by the chevrolet because of a clutch fault with this model. I told their customer service people about the situation with the clutch (the one that was replaced when recalled in 2015), they wanted what I said about the clutch braking at the very top confirmed by a garage they authorise to do repairs. Straight away 2 mechanics said the same thing of the new clutch (2015) that it was not wear and tear but a manufacturing fault that was the cause. Further contact with Chevrolet, they dismissed what the mechanics said, (written confirmation on their findings were sent Chevrolet/Vauxhall) and said because the warranty had expired they were not legally  liable.

In March of 2019 a new clutch box was put in my Sparks. Guess what happen in September of 2020 !!! Yes that's right, approaching a busy aroundabout and "BANG" goes the clutch pedal, flat on the floor. Broke off exactly the same place. This one only lasted about 18 months.

Point is now, do I get it repaired again for £600 + or buy another car. I cannot afford to keep paying out £600 every 18 months for a new clutch.

Now to chase up Chevrolet/Vauxhall and to see if I can get anywhere with the help of the law. Sorry it was so long.

Regards

David

• 1 year later...

Hello all -  

i hope you got your problems slighted - I know this chat is an old thread now - but stubbled across it when looking to find out about  EXACTLY the same issue with my car - bought second hand - Ive only been driving it for a month - snapped clean off whilst I was driving - I looked down and it was laying in the foot week. I’ve been quoted nearly £900 ? did you get any where about the recalls and customer service in the uk ? 
Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks Amanda 

• 2 months later...