Muffler and short throw shifter

Hi, I have a project in mind to customize my 2019 standard spark into a street legal race car. I have found coil overs at bc racing and eibach is about to lunch their own. 

Also have found stabilizer bars linking both suspensions.

so basically does any one knows if there is a custom muffler without restrictions and street legal? 

Also how about installing a short throw shifter?  Any ideas, suggestions? 

Thanks and I’ll start building my car after winter and will share photos :)

For exhaust, I would consider a full exhaust, either doing it yourself or having it done for you at a muffler shop unless you can find a direct fit aftermarket set up. Best upgrade while maintaining street legal status would be larger exhaust diameter and high flow catalytic converters.

You would probably throw a check engine light without a tune but I would recommend licensing under HP tuners anyways. If you are looking for performance from exhaust you will need to adjust the tune anways IMO. This may not be true for a small range of improvement 

You could look at slightly increasing the diameter of the exhaust, add high flow cats, and look at removing, downsizing or upgrading the muffler and tip(s). 

I'd also consider looking at the intake side of things if you haven't already. And maybe turbo? :)

Edited by LittleBlue!

Thanks for the Reply!

Great advice somehow did not think about that... Also I took a look at this guys and I am not sure if Sonic hatchback parts could fit my spark ( https://zzperformance.com/collections/sonic-cruze/products/zzp-1-4l-sonic-stainless-catback-exhaust )

Trying to locate specs and diagrams... Any help? 

How about a universal short throw sifter? will it fit? again can't find much information.... Thanks

I'm not knowledgeable on shifters unfortunately. I can however comment on catbacks. Disclaimer: I have a 2014 so you may want to double check dimensions but I bought a sonic catback for my car and it actually worked really well. It seemed to follow the exhaust channel perfectly. I went with a cheaper brand as my project budget grew. I'll see if I can find a link or image of the one I went with. 

I believe there would still be some cutting and likely welding. I don't think it would bolt on but I did my whole exhaust so I cant say for sure.

There is another guy on here that posts a bunch of detailed dimensions for I believe a 2017 he may have done some relevant measurements for you. Not sure on year to year compatibility but I bet those match. His post is the 2017 turbo project in the accessories and mods section of the forums. 

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • 3 months later...

I have done the DIY short shifter of simply cutting the original shifter about an inch and a half below the original point. Not a time consuming project but make sure to have a new shifter/adapter to take place of the old one. Also be ready for a ton of metal shavings. Other than that it’s all about having the right tools to do the job.