As a two generation Spark owner, I can say from experience that the material the steering wheel is made from starts wearing very quickly! Both my Sparks started showing heavy wear at 40k mi. on the steering wheels. I am posting this as advice. Get a steering wheel cover! Something nice that is a tight fit and will prevent wear.  Not impressed with the material but, a cover will prevent this. I picked up a decent one for $15 bucks at Pep-boys.  

1st gen of M300 (2010) like mine have this kind of issue (peeling rubber outer) but for gear knob. But steering wheel seems still good even after 9 yrs. May be sunlight & high temp could be a reason.

And for me it was awkward to hear from Chevy service centre that the complete shift lever need to be replaced. I mean for 3$ item why one have to pay 25$+.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 2017 Spark LS and previously had the 2014 model. Both had the issue. I am in a northern climate and heat is a short seasonal issue. I would replace my shift knob with an aftermarket one myself if it starts to wear but my steering wheel is something I would like to keep stock.