Adding oil or oil change?

Good evening Chevy community! I have a question about oil on a 2018 Chevy Tahoe that I'm currently renting. Since I'm unsure of when last oil change was and I'm on a fairly extensive trip having traveled 4k of my 7k mile trip I noticed the indicator saying oil level has gone from 81% to 15% oil life. I honestly just want to add oil of possible to get me home, the car has 32k miles on it now and last sticker I might have seen said they do it every 15k on the door. Either way I don't want to break down would I be alright with adding a quart of oil? Have about 3500~ miles b4 home. Thoughts?

solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/  https://bluestacks.vip

Edited by tomjohn77
  • 4 months later...

Engine oil has 3 basic functions.

1. Lubricate moving parts

2. Transfer out some of the tremendous heat created inside internal combustion engine

3. prevent premature corrosion inside engine.

If oil is not contaminated by carbon dust, looks clear, and has no burning smell,

then Item #1 is never going to be a problem for 100,000 miles.

If you drive mainly longer longer than 5 mile trips, and drive your car at least 3 times a week,

item #3 is not going to be a problem for 50,000 miles.

Even dirty oil will transfer heat out of the engine into the oil tank where  it cools a little bit.

What it boils down to is check how oil looks on the dipstick. If it is dirty black, change it.

Because it shows you have carbon particles in oil and that will cause more than normal wear.

If it smells burned or discolored, change it.

If it has greenish color, you need to repair coolant leaking into engine.

If it has reddish color, your transmission is leaking into engine oil...need repair.

If the oil on dipstick looks clear, has no burning smell, you are good to go,

unless you drive lots of short trips when the engine never reaches operating temperature,

then you need to change oil at recommended intervals because it will cause corrosion if neglected.

When  I drove 70 miles round trip to work 5 times every week, I stretched the oil change to 4 times recommended miles/time span in owner's manual. Remember, oil never wears out lubricating qualities, it just can get contaminated due to various situations.

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, barrysingh102 said:

If your engine is using oil, and you are adding oil to replace it, you still need to change the oil at regular intervals as well as the oil filter because the oil that is being added will not alter the wear on the oil that is already in the engine. 

Thanks for the help, it worked

Regards, 9apps apk cartoon hd

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Oils and oil filters are cheaper to replace than engines. Just pouring in new oil would be adding, not changing. To change you first need to drain the old oil out, and it is best to remove the old oil filter and install a new one at that time, then pour in the new oil. https://jiofilocalhtml.run https://forpc.onl

Edited by xpacethree
  • 4 months later...

Dark colored, cloudy or gritty textured oil is a sign the lubricating components of the oil have been exposed to heat for too long and needs to be changed. Adding oil instead of an oil change at this point could cause engine issues. This used oil needs to be removed to allow new oil to lubricate your engine's parts mybkexperience mcdvoice

Edited by rareskyone
  • 9 months later...