Anyone added a roof rack to their spark?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tips on installing a roof rack onto my 2016 spark, which does not already have side rails. Specifically I need the crossbars so I can attach two J racks, because I'd like to fit 2 kayaks up there. This is our only car and I want to be able to transport both kayaks to the river at the same time to kayak together with my spouse. This is the only reason I'm looking for a roof rack right now, BUT if we had one that could support a cargo carrier up there, we could utilize that for our out-of-town hobby shows so any info on that would be a bonus.

I've looked into rhino rack crossbars- they seem good because they don't require side rails but they're expensive, over $400. Has anyone had these and are they worth it? Or another brand that works similarly?http://tradevenue.se/

Or, has anyone had the side rails installed (which would allow purchase of cheaper crossbars)? I can't imagine this would be cheaper or easier overall but I can't find much info about it.

Any guidance is much appreciated! I'm also not very knowledgeable about cars so any important info I left out, please let me know :-) Thanks!

Edited by joe77
  • 4 weeks later...

One option could be finding a poor spark in the junkyard with the rails.  I'm actually going to check my local area now that I think about it. I have a canoe but I just strap it on top at the moment. There are also some cool racks or like crates or whatever that can go up top. If you can locate rail instructions on the internet you can use them to remove the rails at a junkyard and install on your own car. The plus is you could see a lot more while you take them off the junk car before putting on your own. Just my two cents