I bought a 2015 spark this last year, and have recently upgraded my phone to the iPhone XR. with that being said, I don’t have a USB input to my radio. Just the aux, which means that I cannot charge my phone while I listen to music. I wanted to try to swap out my aux for usb. I don’t have a large amount of knowledge of wiring, and electrical. But I’m good at learning how to do just about anything. Any suggestions from anyone? Part suggestions? I’ve found a couple replacement USB sockets for my year car. BUT I’m not sure if that will work with the wiring I have, or if I’ll have to rewire something. 

Hopefully that all makes sense! Any suggestions are appreciated :)

ps. I don’t have Bluetooth either. Just radio and aux input. Not even a CD player lol

Edited by verde2015

Phone is one gadget which does not need charging while driving. My fully charged Android phone lasts the entire day with power left to spare. Another thing, it is very bad practice to use phone while driving.

But if you must need to charge your phone in the car, try looking for a cable which fits into cigarette lighter at one end and the suitable terminal at other end which fits into your phone receptacle. My Garmin GPS works that way.

Edited by Bobby MSME

You can try the Bluetooth device which can sit directly in 12v socket and have Aux connection to car stereo. These have usually 1 or 2 USB port for charging + basic button like call, prev & next.

For ref. only.

(Car Kit Handsfree Bluetooth 3.0 A2DP 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter DC5V 2.1A USB Charger For Smart Phone
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bTw0ffbi)

There are other devices (FM transmitter with Bluetooth), I doubt those as they connect phone on Bluetooth but with car audio they transmit over FM. Downside, they actually broadcast the audio on phone to car stereo, anyone nearby can listen with same frequency tuned and audio quality over FM is already a big question mark.

For ref. only.

(Bluetooth Car Kit Handsfree FM Transmitter AUX Audio MP3 Player Bluetooth Stereo A2DP Music Player 5V 3.1A Car Charger
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b44UZqV6)

I have used a Bluetooth earphone, which have 3.5mm out port, but everytime I need to turn on that when going in car. Although, it auto turn off if disconnected for 5 or 10min. I never tried option I gave above as now a days I drive very less.

Hope this may clear some doubt for you. I personally don't prefer to modify existing audio for port swap.

4 hours ago, Ray Dockrey said:

Does it have a 12 volt port? Just use that with a USB charger. Then get something like this:

This is type I mentioned, I am using with earphones. Only you need to keep it charged and turn on every time.

Also, one more type Bluetooth adaptor I have seen similar to this one. They have USB port at one end and Aux at another. But those usually give mono output, instead of stereo.