I have a 2015 Spark LT and have had it from February 2016. I absolutely love the little thing, but I now want to start experimenting since it is out of warranty. Is it possible to put a 2014 Sonic RS engine in the car? I have spoken to a guy at a dealer near me and he said that it would be possible and that the gearbox of the Spark will also be able to handle the extra grunt, but I am not so sure about it. When swapping the engine I would probably change everything that maybe could not handle the extra power, but I just want more info on what to look out for.

My guess is it would never work. You would need somebody to fabricate an adapter for the trans and engine to mate up if thats even possible plus your are talking two entirely different computer systems and trying to get them to talk would be nearly impossible. I say nearly because nothing is impossible if you can find the right people and throw enough money at it. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2019 at 7:04 AM, Oupa_Gollie said:

I have a 2015 Spark LT and have had it from February 2016. I absolutely love the little thing, but I now want to start experimenting since it is out of warranty. Is it possible to put a 2014 Sonic RS engine in the car? I have spoken to a guy at a dealer near me and he said that it would be possible and that the gearbox of the Spark will also be able to handle the extra grunt, but I am not so sure about it. When swapping the engine I would probably change everything that maybe could not handle the extra power, but I just want more info on what to look out for.

I would think smaller first personally. I'm not sure what your mechanical experience is but I would start tinkering with the existing engine and once you reach the limits consider the swap. I'm working on putting a turbo from the Cruze on my 14 spark. I just have to work on the tune now. I'd do something like that maybe a supercharger.

I definitely think you could do the swap. You'd probably need the ecu and wiring harness from the Sonic but both ecu are tunable via HP tuners.  Also, you would obviously want a daily driver while you do the work just something else to keep in mind. Dowhat you want in the end, if you really want it you will make it happen. 

Edited by LittleBlue!