I looked at this a bit more just checking fuses and listening to how the system was performing. I noticed that there was a noticeable change to how the airflow sounded when I would move the temperature knob from hot to cold, so I figured that it might not be the blend door.

A few days ago, I got a check engine light. Then a day later, I got a overheat warning light. I quickly slowed down to take the next exit, and the overheat light went off. I got to work and checked the coolant reservoir and sure enough it was empty. I had someone give me a lift to the nearest auto parts store which in this case is a big box home center (hey, they carry premix Dexcool!) and filled it up. And yes, my heater works now.

I checked the car w/ my trusty old (really old) OBD scanner and got:

• P0117: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Input
  • P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

https://www.obd-codes.com

So perhaps I have a slow leak somewhere like in my water pump because I don't see any leaks even right after driving it.

I'll just keep an eye on my coolant level for now. 

Edited by Alfetta159
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep Ray, you're absolutely correct.

I ordered a water pump (and serpentine belt because apparently once you take on off you can't reinstall it,) and while I wasn't sure that it was the water pump, I just wanted to be prepared if it was. I started to pull the coolant reservoir to get a better look at the water pump and as I pulled off the top hose, the port just broke off the tank.

I stopped there and ordered a tank from AutoZone for $120, but when I tried to install it, the bottom port was too small. It required a narrower hose. So I looked around. Napa and OReilley's had nothing, but RockAuto had an AC/Delco part for $30, and that fit fine.

No more leaks, so I returned all of that other stuff to my local AutoZone which btw, doesn't even carry an oil filter for the car in the store, so I might be doing more shopping at RockAuto.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, Alfetta159 said:

No more leaks, so I returned all of that other stuff to my local AutoZone which btw, doesn't even carry an oil filter for the car in the store, so I might be doing more shopping at RockAuto.

I get filters from amazon, ac delco pf68 i paid $6.80 shipped just a couple weeks ago.