2018 Spark manual trans failure at 12,000 miles

My 2018 Spark just had its manual transmission replaced at 12,000 miles.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

I was very surprised to have such a major mechanical failure this early on.

That said, I'm still happy with my car overall, 9 months into ownership.

Only Rolls Royce cars receive 100% inspection for defects. Any mass produced car can never be 100% without problems, especially one of the cheapest cars on the market. Sorry to hear about your manual tranny. I am sure it was a fluke and the replacement will probably last 100k miles.

The last manual tranny was in my 1964 Corvair. Never had a problem with any of the automatic transmissions since then, including 1967 Chevy Impala through current 2017 Spark with CVT.  And driving in Chicago traffic for 37 years, I probably saved a few million manual gear shifts :shift:

• 3 years later...
On 1/21/2019 at 3:30 AM, zzyzx said:

My 2018 Spark just had its manual transmission replaced at 12,000 miles.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

I was very surprised to have such a major mechanical failure this early on.

That said, I'm still happy with my car overall, 9 months into ownership.

Coming up on 12k on my 2021. No issues yet. What were the symptoms? Cost to replace? Warranty?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Like I said before, my first new car  had manual tranny. It was very good in rural areas away from traffic. But driving in traffic to work everyday in Chicago was a very bad idea with manual tranny. You are going to wear out the clutch or the throw out bearing. Slushbox automatic is great for driving in traffic since the power is transmitted through liquid oil which does not wear anywhere near as fast as a friction disk which is the clutch. I have owned dozen different cars all with automatic slushbox tranny's, and never had a transmission problem driving for 55 years and a few million miles. So choose based on your driving needs.