Just picked up this 2017 and notice that on light acceleration between about 30 and 40 mph, the rpm will suddenly go up 1000 rpm and quickly go back down and feel like a regular transmission upshift. This doesn't seem to happen during harder acceleration. Also, if I'm coasting down below 20 and then step on the gas I can feel a shudder. I'll have to check the fluid level but if OK, would changing the fluid do anything?

That is normal behavior for my 2017 Spark. My solution is to avoid goosing the gas pedal when costing just below 20 mph.

The CVT actually has a regular gear shift designed into it,  and in my 2017 Spark the gear shift occurs at about 40 mph when accelerating smoothly.  I am so used to CVT quirks by now, I rarely encounter them anymore because I have learned how do  avoid them.

My 2014 does the same thing as it has the same CVT in it. Its something you get used too. The shudder is the steel belt in the trans slightly slipping. As Bobby mentioned you will learn how to keep it from doing it along with the RPM increase. Just the quirkiness of the trans. 

No, its not in the manual. Comes from experience with the car, spending time on this forum, and lots of reading.