Unswitched electric source

I have a 2017 Spark. I recently discovered that the electric power socket (AKA the cigarette lighter socket) is connected via the ignition switch. Thus no power is available when the car is not running.  I have a need to have a continuous electric power source when the car is not running. This would be used to run small electronic devices. The current draw would be about 200 milliamps. I have been unable to find any wiring schematics.

Can anybody suggest an simple way to connect to the electrical system to accomplish this.  I suspect that there is a unused terminal at one of its fuse boxes that could be used. I am open to any suggestions as too how to accomplish this. Tnx

When I needed a heated steering wheel on my riding golf cart, I connected directly to the battery terminals with wires running to the steering wheel cover which had heating elements.  That power is always available.  Electric Golf carts run on a bank of  tandem batteries and are charged with a battery charger after the round of golf.

Like Bobby said, you can connect directly to battery with a in-line fuse and a switch. Same you can get from spare location in fuse box.

1st you need to check on box label where it is. 2nd you need to verify that it's powered all time. To check this you best have a multimeter, connect -ve lead to chassis and +ve to spare location terminal. Now, if its 12v without key, you got it, else move to next spare one. Then, use a fuse tap to get power from that spare location. As you just need 200mA, I guess 2amp or 3amp fuse is good.

If you don't have a multimeter and have some electronics + soldering idea, I can share a very small circuit which actually can check 3 distinct state, i.e. +12v, ground and open lead.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:15 AM, Bobby MSME said:

When I needed a heated steering wheel on my riding golf cart, I connected directly to the battery terminals with wires running to the steering wheel cover which had heating elements. 

Bobby, as I understand the golf cart steering is not complex and you can simply run wire through it but any idea how can I do it on Spark. Sometime back I got, how to generate command for my old sony cd player but got stuck on how to route it through steering column.

On 12/16/2018 at 0:02 PM, ChevyBeat said:

Bobby, as I understand the golf cart steering is not complex and you can simply run wire through it but any idea how can I do it on Spark. Sometime back I got, how to generate command for my old sony cd player but got stuck on how to route it through steering column.

Agreed, it was much easier to do on the golf cart. So...on the Spark, you may have to drill a small hole in the firewall to accommodate the wires. Just be careful to check both sides of the firewall so you do not end up destroying some component.  

According to the manual the power socket is hot all the time. I know on some GM vehicles depending on how the fuse is installed will determine if you have switched power or constant power. 

i don't know about the 2017 but on the 2015 Sparks with automatic trans there is a cover plate held on by two bolts that covers the holes for the clutch. You can take the plate off, drill a hole, install a rubber grommet and run your power wire through there. I had to do this when I ran power for my subwoofer.