How to Detach an Electrical Connector

I have a 2015 Spark, few days ago my check is engine on, after a difficult starting when refueling at gas station. After I got the code(P0496), I did some research. I suspect the problem is my purge valve is stuck open. The purge valve on a spark is really easy to reach, so I tried to take it off. I have no problem taking off the tube from charcoal canister, and I unbolted the valve from the intake.

The problem is I can't disconnect the electrical connector below. The white clip on the connector can slide up and down, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Has anyone unplugged it before? I am new to car repair, maybe I am missing some simple things. Thanks in advance!

This is a link to the connector with a 360 view.

https://www.automotive-connectors.com/kostal-9405621-2-way-sealed-mlk-1-2-l100-black-female-connector-with-short-cpa-and-aktive-tpa-coding-a1.html?___store=english

webwxgetmsgimg?&MsgID=873850651175970645

Edited by tech4me
40 minutes ago, LittleBlue! said:

I feel your pain! I have had to disconnect a few on this car but not this specific connector. Usually, the part that slides allows you to squeeze or push down another catch. I'll see if I can find anything helpful online. 

The same connector is also used at few other places in the car I think one next to the exhaust manifold and one next to the engine air filter casing. I've tried push every piece of plastic I can, use a screwdriver to poke around. I spent way too many hours on this, at this point I am will to go to a gm dealer and pay them to see how they would unplug this connector.

Maybe this extraction tool is required? Even if I get this tool, I wouldn't know how to use it.

https://www.automotive-connectors.com/walter-schroeder-121071-extraction-tool-for-kostal-mlk-1-2-with-protective-cover.html

You can tell this is a German connector. It is so over engineered, maybe it is little bit better compare to other connectors spec wise(water vibration resistance). But it is so not intuitive and probably very costly to replace.

Sorry about all the negative emotions, at this point it is just frustration. (To rub more salt to the wound, I am an electrical engineer. Although more on the computer side of things)

Hi,

That extraction tool you have shown is for removing terminal from plug.

Now, after looking 360 view of connector and the other end on purge valve body, I understand that you need to push down (press inside) the white tab and then need to pull whole plug, it seems it need much force due to 2 guides on side and 2 inside connector.

I haven't checked on car :stop:as I am not sure where to look for it, so I searched the purge valve on Google. Below is link for pics.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-GM-Vapor-Canister-Purge-Valve-Solenoid-for-2012-2018-Chevrolet-Sonic-1-8L-L4/283005277749?epid=16020325037&hash=item41e46dd635:g:8ssAAOSwdIFbH4al)

I can check this on car if you can guide me little for location (further, mine is 2010 LS India).

This might sound really dumb but as a last option you could maybe save the plug and cut the wires going to the replacement part and part to be replaced. Then solder the wires going to the plug. Again probably dumb but may be an option. Chevy Beat seems to have some good guidance I would definitely explore first. Best of luck!

23 hours ago, ChevyBeat said:

Hi,

That extraction tool you have shown is for removing terminal from plug.

Now, after looking 360 view of connector and the other end on purge valve body, I understand that you need to push down (press inside) the white tab and then need to pull whole plug, it seems it need much force due to 2 guides on side and 2 inside connector.

I haven't checked on car :stop:as I am not sure where to look for it, so I searched the purge valve on Google. Below is link for pics.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-GM-Vapor-Canister-Purge-Valve-Solenoid-for-2012-2018-Chevrolet-Sonic-1-8L-L4/283005277749?epid=16020325037&hash=item41e46dd635:g:8ssAAOSwdIFbH4al)

I can check this on car if you can guide me little for location (further, mine is 2010 LS India).

Thanks for you replay. I searched for an under-hood picture for your car, and I don't think it uses the same connector as mine.

I FIGURED IT OUT!

I broke one of my connector when I was fiddling with it with a screw driver(I broke the while plastic into pieces by mistake)  At that point I decided to destroy the connector so I can reverse engineer the inner construction of it. After some careful inspection, I found the solution: you have to push the white clip to the outside position and press the white clip and the black plastic under it and the same tile REALLY REALLY HARD, and pull the connector out while doing it.

Thanks again!

14 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

This might sound really dumb but as a last option you could maybe save the plug and cut the wires going to the replacement part and part to be replaced. Then solder the wires going to the plug. Again probably dumb but may be an option. Chevy Beat seems to have some good guidance I would definitely explore first. Best of luck!

I basically used your approach, but instead of cutting the wires I destroyed the connector. I superglue the clip back together, hopefully it can last a while. At least now I know how to disconnect them.