Amp and speaker install on a 2016

Hi I was checking under the hood of my car to plan for installing an amp. I wanted to know if someone installed one in a 2016 or above . I don't know where to pass the power wire from the battery there's a ton of stuff in that area.

Thanks 

Edited by SilverSpark
  • 3 months later...

three thoughts on this.

1st:  I hope your amp doesn't really need the current requirements that full 8 awg wire would provide...     since that wire is CCA instead of real copper wire, it will have a higher resistance and larger voltage drop. everybody should really stay away from copper clad aluminium wire.

2nd:  Was your wood speaker adapter not thick enough on its own? just trying to understand why you made your own adapter AND also used that thinner plastic adapter. if you do have a depth issue then its fine, but if its not needed, I would just remove it.

3rd: Not 100% sure of what the climate is like up there in Montreal, but I hope it stays desert dry there all year around. you should never make speaker adapters out of wood, especially MDF or particle board. wood will absorb moisture and start to fall apart after a while (MDF and particle board will degrade at an even faster rate). Most cars (smaller, cheaper cars are even more effected by this) do not seal very well between where the base of the glass and the top of the door meet and tons of water will slip right through every time it rains. this problem is actually one of the biggest reason for OEM speaker failures in GM cars/trucks aside from people just turning the radio up all the way.  its way better to use ABS or PVC for this, they can also often be found at most home improvement stores.

Edited by 1LoudLS
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, 1LoudLS said:

three thoughts on this.

1st:  I hope your amp doesn't really need the current requirements that full 8 awg wire would provide...     since that wire is CCA instead of real copper wire, it will have a higher resistance and larger voltage drop. everybody should really stay away from copper clad aluminium wire.

2nd:  Was your wood speaker adapter not thick enough on its own? just trying to understand why you made your own adapter AND also used that thinner plastic adapter. if you do have a depth issue then its fine, but if its not needed, I would just remove it.

3rd: Not 100% sure of what the climate is like up there in Montreal, but I hope it stays desert dry there all year around. you should never make speaker adapters out of wood, especially MDF or particle board. wood will absorb moisture and start to fall apart after a while (MDF and particle board will degrade at an even faster rate). Most cars (smaller, cheaper cars are even more effected by this) do not seal very well between where the base of the glass and the top of the door meet and tons of water will slip right through every time it rains. this problem is actually one of the biggest reason for OEM speaker failures in GM cars/trucks aside from people just turning the radio up all the way.  its way better to use ABS or PVC for this, they can also often be found at most home improvement stores.

I agree on all of this.  They have speaker adapter plates you can buy at the store or order online.

• 3 months later...