Maintaining battery life

I was wondering if somebody could help me out with a question. I just bought my Spark about a month ago, and I’m wondering how to best maintain the battery life in the heat. I live and work in Phoenix, AZ, and luckily I park my car in a garage at home and at work. However,  I noticed that the manual recommends keeping the car plugged in at temperature is over 90°, which is basically half the year here in Phoenix. I can’t keep my car plugged in at work. I am wondering how long is too long to keep the car unplugged. I obviously want to maintain the battery for as long as possible. Any information you have would be most appreciated! 

I think that advice is for a stored vehicle. If you drive it at least once every couple of weeks the alternator should keep the battery charged. Sadly, heat does take its toll on battery life but there isn't much you can do to stop that in a hot state except keep it in an air conditioned garage which isn't a realistic solution for most folks.

Edited by Fire Spark
On September 27, 2018 at 1:03 AM, Idris said:

I was wondering if somebody could help me out with a question. I just bought my Spark about a month ago, and I’m wondering how to best maintain the battery life in the heat. I live and work in Phoenix, AZ, and luckily I park my car in a garage at home and at work. However,  I noticed that the manual recommends keeping the car plugged in at temperature is over 90°, which is basically half the year here in Phoenix. I can’t keep my car plugged in at work. I am wondering how long is too long to keep the car unplugged. I obviously want to maintain the battery for as long as possible. Any information you have would be most appreciated! 

On October 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM, Fire Spark said:

I think that advice is for a stored vehicle. If you drive it at least once every couple of weeks the alternator should keep the battery charged. Sadly, heat does take its toll on battery life but there isn't much you can do to stop that in a hot state except keep it in an air conditioned garage which isn't a realistic solution for most folks.

My relatives in AZ tell me they replace batteries every 3 years.