In Praise of the 2017 Spark

I've owned my 2017 Spark LS (base model) 5-speed manual for a year now. In 13,000 miles it's been faultless. SUPER fun to drive (Reminds me of my '86 CRX and '88 Civic hatch). 

I paid $10,100 OTD and feel I stole the car for this price. The car runs and drives like a much more expensive car. I took it on a road trip from Phoenix AZ to Palm Springs CA and it tracked smoothly at 80MPH most of the way. I disagree with GM's "city car" marketing. It's a fine little interstate cruiser. 

Compared to an early second generation Honda Prelude - the second gen Spark is 1/10 sec quicker to 60, scores 5 points higher on the skidpad, and stops 30 feet shorter from 60. Back in the day the Spark would have been considered a "Hot Hatch". How far we have come! 

I LOVE MY SPARK and would definitely buy another one. What a wonderful little car.

18 hours ago, tburick said:

I've owned my 2017 Spark LS (base model) 5-speed manual for a year now. In 13,000 miles it's been faultless. SUPER fun to drive (Reminds me of my '86 CRX and '88 Civic hatch). 

I paid $10,100 OTD and feel I stole the car for this price. The car runs and drives like a much more expensive car. I took it on a road trip from Phoenix AZ to Palm Springs CA and it tracked smoothly at 80MPH most of the way. I disagree with GM's "city car" marketing. It's a fine little interstate cruiser. 

Compared to an early second generation Honda Prelude - the second gen Spark is 1/10 sec quicker to 60, scores 5 points higher on the skidpad, and stops 30 feet shorter from 60. Back in the day the Spark would have been considered a "Hot Hatch". How far we have come! 

I LOVE MY SPARK and would definitely buy another one. What a wonderful little car.

Agree totally on how good 2017 spark is for the price.

I am driving 2017 LS with CVT and like the tranny without having-to shift gears.

our other car is a Chevy HHR and it rides much more stable at speeds over 60mph.

but not as much fun to drive in urban areas.

The spark does handle for what it is, it's also quite neutral. At its first autocross my '16 went into a 4 wheel drift when I finally got it to break loose. It's a shame GM didn't do a turbo version to compete with the Fiesta ST. That would be a blast.

On Saturday in the rain we went through an empty round about an extra time and I got the front to break traction. It just clawed its way around the circle like a classic mini rally car.

Edited by GammaRadiation

It would be nice if it was a little bigger like the copper club car but yea I agree. They are nice. Maybe increase it to at least 120hp or something and a 6 speed auto instead of the cvt. I just hate how it just sits there when you press on the accelerator pedal for a couple seconds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5-speed also and feel like the engine has a lot of potential but it is being held back by the ultra conservative drive-by-wire programming.  Try to rev it up in neutral and you'll see what I'm talking about. Someone needs to come up with a sport mode flash for this car and unleash the beast. :shift: