HP tuners 2014 Chevy Spark (and beyond)

I just ordered the VCM suite from HP Tuners with the MVI2. My interest in tuning my spark came from the turbo project I am currently working on. I plan to familiarize myself with the tuner before the turbo project is complete and I will share my experience here. 

Edited by LittleBlue!

HP tuners has updated their website showing 2014 to 2017 are tuneable. Unfortunately, it will require 4 credits for licensing ($189).

With the research I have done so far I want to:

1. Ensure wide open throttle (WOT) IS 100%

2. Remove any delay in power enrichment (PE)

3. Flex fuel tuning

23 minutes ago, zamlawls said:

does the 2014-2017 have the same engine set up though?

And is that for each of the items?

The engine is different from 2014 to 2017. My 2014 is a 1.2 and 2016+ are 1.4. I'm hoping that I may only need two credits because there is an asterisks next to the 4 credits that relates to the 2017 model. The credits are what allow you to write new information on your ecm. It is a one time payment and you can tune that ecm as much as you want. 

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

Screenshot_2018-08-25-01-13-15-1.png

Here is an introduction to the product. It was updated relatively recently. 

Here is an amazing write up from HP tuners about how to tune the e78 which is the ecm in the Spark. They have a torque based control structure which is unique but this guide breaks it down nicely: 

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_tuning_how_to_advanced_e78.htm

Edited by LittleBlue!

This one is pretty straight forward. The electronic governor is set at 109mph. You can set it at anything from 0 to 318mph. I will max it out, effectively removing it.  Not sure if I'll ever make it over 109mph but it may help top end acceleration and why not?

1535418418703_image.png

Edited by LittleBlue!

This is the power enrichment tab shown with stock defaults. PE is triggered only when the conditions listed are met and the throttle is at 92%. I lowered the RPM threshold from 6k to 3k, removed the .008s delay, and reduced the throttle threshold to 75%. I increased the enrichment ramp in rate to the maximum. 

1535430733370_image.png

I run e30 in my car currently and due to the differences in fuel, I would like to tune the vehicle to run as efficiently as possible. One change is the stoichiometric air fuel ratio, which basically means best fuel to air mixture. 

87 octane regular fuel is around 14.7. The more ethanol you add, the richer you need to run to compensate for lower energy content. As the chart below shows, 13 air to fuel ratio is ideal for e30.

Below are screenshots of the stock 14.7 setting and after I changed it to 13.0. My car does not have an alcohol sensor so I changed all values in the table. 

1535929586592_image.png

Edited by LittleBlue!
1 hour ago, GammaRadiation said:

Just want to give a Bravo for the work and documentation you're putting in. Thank you and keep it up. It's certainly appreciated.

Thanks! I have been having a lot of fun. I try to document the process as much as possible to hopefully help others (if not from success from my failures along the way). It's a learning process and we all learn better together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a very helpful overview of using HP tuners on a torque management system like the Chevy Spark's e78:

The Driver Demand table is now a crucial part of the calibrators’ lexicon. The ECM uses Desired Throttle Torque to calculate the Desired MAP, which in turn uses Throttle Inlet Absolute Pressure sensor to determine how much to open the throttle blade to achieve the Desired MAP. This is crucial to understand because in a turbo application, you could crank up the boost and make the same power because the throttle closes to compensate. Now the Driver Demand tables are what command engine power based on vehicle speed and position of the gas pedal. From there it is converted into Driver Demand Axle Torque, where it is calculated by a number of things including Axle Torque Limits, Maximum and Brake Torque Limits.

I removed the previous post as it was inaccurate information. I have found some good info for anyone interested in tuning their spark with HP tuners. Our car has variable valve timing that can be adjusted. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1808-advantages-of-vvt-cam-in-gen-iv-v-engine

I'm going to experiment with this once I get it running but it looks like Chevy left some meat on the bone in the name of fuel economy. I'm looking for power :)

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered a wide band guage from AEM. A wideband replaces the second O2 sensor or can just be placed in the exhaust and reads the air fuel ratio. This guage plugs right in to the obdII port and can log data in hptuners. This is crucial for me to adjust for the increase in air with my turbo and increase in fuel with the modified injectors. 

Here's a video explaining it a bit 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've been dialing it in while driving to work. I log the data as I drive and then it's really just a copy paste change using the data logged. 

Unfortunately, I have a small oil leak from the oil feed to the turbo that I need to address before driving it to work again.

Most of the changes I'm making are in the VVE table virtual volumetric efficiency. I have that table pretty good up to about 4k rpm. I'm excited to see how it runs when it is good up to 6k. My Spark has the CVT so it should hold rpm and boost at 6k if I can iron everything out.

I have a 2015 standard trans, im working on setting it up for local NARA amarica stage rally. Hopfully to enter 2020 season. what im super interested in at the moment is if there is a way to change redline perimeters as to not fuel or ignition cut when redline is reached. And maybe launch control. The only mods i plan are maybe larger sonic or cruze throttle body retrofit, intake, headers for cat delete/relocation possibly exhaust aside from the load of safty equipment i.e. roll cage, seats, harness, fire suppression. So no turbo or anything like that. I have a feeling this motor has some untapped potential. I rev to 6 grand all the time motor is still running like a champ. Plan to check compression soon to see where i sit after 75k but 60k is probobly highway miles so 10% it highway speed wair my block probobly has 20k hard miles. But when i rev to 6500 and hit that fuel or ignition cut whatever it is i feel like the motor is hitting a second wind. Peak hp numbers at at 6400 rpm what does that say? Its still pulling at red line and wants to go. I mean thats my no knowledge of tuning un educated guess lol but thats how hondas take advatage of vtec by bouncing limiter an that is still pulling at redline.

Everything seems mechanically sound as of now, I intend to push it as I start to dial it in. I had not thought about raising rpm on my spark yet but I did raise the rpm on my Jeep with HP tuners.

I can post a stock spark file and HP tuners editor is free software so if you are interested you can see what parameters are able to be changed and what the stock settings are. I'll look into the rpm limit today. It was easy to change on my older Jeep but the newer GM stuff is notoriously complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates, we are calling in the experts, Goat Rope Garage. Kyle has a YouTube channel full of I formation on these GM style ECU and I have signed up for a one on one course for this month and likely October.  My main focus will be: tuning VVE tables, tuning MAF, and timing. I will also ask about sensor and ECU capabilities for boost, and hopefully get the bugs in my flex sensor worked out. I plan on updating this entire thread with new information when I am done. If you are interested in tuning your spark you should check the channel out!

Edited by LittleBlue!
Dunk at an airport
  • 10 months later...