Sooo.... I bricked my factory ecu over the weekend. $30 for an ECU is not bad but another 4 credits are needed to tune the new ecu. I have 2 I haven't used but I need to buy 2 more for another $100. Tuning these torque based ecu is not coming easy but I made good progress before the scanner disconnected while writing a tune. 

I get the ecu on Sarurday and I'm going to start documenting the tuning process on YouTube. I will post videos from here on out to document the make it or break it stage. Have a great day!

Screenshot_20190708-235412_Gmail.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started fitting the charge pipes today. I'm going to move the intercooler back (towards the radiator) a tiny bit for a better fit but I'm happy with the progress. This bumper literally snaps off and

All of my oil lines are hooked up, I've put gaskets on all of the exhaust connections, everything is set to start. I have tried to start it but I'm getting a laundry list of codes in HP tuners. Nothin

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ec

Posted Images

Sorry to hear about the brick. Just ordered most of the remaining parts for my turbo project. I'll be hopefully working with Calculated Chaos in NH on the tune once things get moving. Gt17 turbo has water cooling so... A few extra parts had to get ordered. I will split off and create a second post with details to hopefully give more insight on boosting the 1.4l spark. 

Screenshot_2019-07-10-00-52-59-752_com.ebay.mobile.png

Today was a very successful day as far as progress on driveability. I noticed the ecu was pulling a lot of timing and this was causing the pedal response to be non existent. I tinkered with a few spark tables and raised the minimum spark allowed to 5 degrees. The delay in throttle response is almost entirely gone now. I think I should be able to continue to dial in the air fuel ratio at partial and full throttle now. 

While trying to tune my VE table I noticed my intake temps were a bit high so I finally finished my intake. I think I will get a nice edge for the opening but I like it. Intake temps are nice and cool now. 

I have made a lot of progress on tuning the car. Today I drove around dialing in the fueling and the responsiveness and power has been consistently improving.

20190720_201758.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

I wanted to replace the ebay blow off valve I bought with an aftermarket one from Forge designed for the Cruze turbo. It's for the prior generation Cruze and is not controlled by the ecu. I'll hang on to the stock one it replaces as it can be controlled by my stock ecu. The new one is controlled by a spring and can be changed.  I have two springs that cruze and sonic owners report seeing up to 22 psi on. Not sure what this little thing will see but I'm going to try and get it as high as I can with E85.

I also removed the bypass solenoid that is also controlled by the ecu. I have to do a bit of research on vacum lines for the set up because it is all foreign to me. My plan is to figure these lines out and reinstall the turbo to see what kind of boost it can build. I will link to some of the data logs and tunes once things are starting to dial in.

20190725_232957.jpg

17 hours ago, zamlawls said:

Dang. I havent been here in awhile. Glad to see you are still tinkering around with the turbo, and it seems like you are just about finished.

Haha yeah, I have been tinkering for quite some time now. I took everything apart to make some final tweaks and I'm in the process of reassembly. I have a few minor parts ordered but after that I should be back to tuning. I'm hoping to see what kind of boost this thing can make as soon as possible. 

This morning I made a lot of progress on rerouting the exhaust. I still need one straight piece to connect the two sections but the hard work is done.  I also received my section of charge pipe that will be replacing the section where the cheap ebay blow off valve used to be. Last item to gather is some vaccum hose and we're back in business with a base tune and improved system

Almost done with the new exhaust. It has much more ground clearance than before which was my goal. I still need to put in a spot for the wideband but that should be no problem and then I will finish welding the seams off of the car. 

I couldn't help but start the car up early this morning before work and it sounds so much better! I fixed a few areas that had exhaust leaks. 

Last item to grab is vacuum lines and possibly a battery charger as this process has been draining the battery and my charger needs an upgrade. Hopefully, I can drive around this weekend and post a video of the current status and tuning process. 

Edited by LittleBlue!

I installed a T-fitting in the intake manifold (white plastic T in picture) to hook up as my vacuum line for the blow off valve and my boost gauge so I know what the pressure is in the intake manifold. Unfortunately, this manifold absolute pressure sensor is not set up to read above atmospheric pressure and the ecu (e78) does not appear able to monitor above 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) This is not an end all issue but it does make tuning for boost a bit of a challenge (especially for a newbie like me)

On a positive note, I hooked my boost gauge up and confirmed I am making boost. I'll post a video showing the guage while I drive but on the way home I think it was around 5psi. This was at 4,000 rpm or below and there are some areas where I may be leaking boost so that number should go up.  Happy Friday!

20190815_215244.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, LittleBlue! said:

I installed a T-fitting in the intake manifold (white plastic T in picture) to hook up as my vacuum line for the blow off valve and my boost gauge so I know what the pressure is in the intake manifold. Unfortunately, this manifold absolute pressure sensor is not set up to read above atmospheric pressure and the ecu (e78) does not appear able to monitor above 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) This is not an end all issue but it does make tuning for boost a bit of a challenge (especially for a newbie like me)

On a positive note, I hooked my boost gauge up and confirmed I am making boost. I'll post a video showing the guage while I drive but on the way home I think it was around 5psi. This was at 4,000 rpm or below and there are some areas where I may be leaking boost so that number should go up.  Happy Friday!

20190815_215244.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12592525 Good news..as far as the MAP sensor goes at least. Summit Racing sells the GM 3 bar sensors. 

Edited by Shinobi777
Grammar
On 8/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, thismarks said:

Good progress! Its great to see your still making headway. I'm still working with placement as there is very little room to fabricate a non-header attached turbo in the 2017. 

Room was definitely an issue for me as well, I had to get an aftermarket radiator fan to create some space for my set up. True confession I removed the AC compressor and lines too. It's  not ideal for a daily but I don't regret it too much. Windows down and turbo spool works for me :)

Right now, I need to address a small oil leak where I tried the turbo oil feed in. I like the oil filter adapter you ordered so I might have to explore that or another T fitting. Once that's addressed I will be back to daily driving, logging, and tuning. Best of luck on your project, I'm excited to watch your progress!

I finally fixed the last oil leak this morning. I kept thinking the issue was where the hose met the fitting but all I had to do was tighten the fitting on the other end a bit. A bit hard to reach with a wrench so I'm assuming that was a contibuting factor. Super happy it was an easy fix and I was just lazy and not really tackling the issue until now.

• 3 weeks later...

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ecu. 

Today, the host of the show announced an option for an hour session of one on one tuning for $75. I signed up today. You also get access to videos and can send files to have him review and provide feedback on throughout the month.  Another great deal is $15 a month, you don't get the 1 on 1 hour session but you can watch the videos and send in your files as well. 

He also has a bunch of free content that has been really helpful.

Anyways, I'm hoping to learn a ton. 

Edited by LittleBlue!
On 8/25/2019 at 8:45 PM, Shinobi777 said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12592525 Good news..as far as the MAP sensor goes at least. Summit Racing sells the GM 3 bar sensors. 

I'm going to ask about this during my tuning session. The sonic and cruze have the same ecu and turbo so I think I may be misinformed on what is possible. Maybe the stock setup is sufficient or I can add the MAP sensor you mention. To be continued.

Edited by LittleBlue!