On 8/17/2018 at 8:19 AM, Nse1255 said:

Have you put any thought into tuning? I know that way down the road, but I haven't been able to find anyone that can tune these cars.

The project looks great though. It's making me want to give it a go

Nse1255, if you are still interested in tuning, I am having Goat Rope Garage from YouTube help me tune my car. They offer a $15 a month option where you can send your files in for tips and tuning. I'm doing the $75 option for 1 on one this month and probably October. 

Hopefully. I should also know these ECU fairly well when I'm done and would be happy to help!

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started fitting the charge pipes today. I'm going to move the intercooler back (towards the radiator) a tiny bit for a better fit but I'm happy with the progress. This bumper literally snaps off and

All of my oil lines are hooked up, I've put gaskets on all of the exhaust connections, everything is set to start. I have tried to start it but I'm getting a laundry list of codes in HP tuners. Nothin

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ec

Posted Images

I just finished my first one hour session. Super informative. You can log above 1 bar with a 2 or 3 bar map sensor and the operating system can be adjusted no problem. I think 1 bar should read a little bit into low boost. I need to work on my wastegate a bit to build any significant boost. Currently, just barely registering boost but I know what the issue is. 

During the tuning session today it was confirmed my wastegate was likely leaking. This was an issue because I had to clock the turbo to fit in my car and when I did, the internal wastegate mounting bracket on the turbo no longer lined up. I finally made a bracket to securely mount the wastegate. Hopefully tomorrow I will see higher boost

20190928_223205.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

So I took the car out first thing this morning after adding the wastegate bracket and I'm making about 4psi of boost. The car is so much faster now that the wastegate issue seems to be addressed. The turbo noise is also like x10 what it was recently so I'm not mad about that either. I need to rework my fueling for the additional air but I will post a video later. 

Here is a snapshot from yesterday's log. I hit just over 4 psi at around 4,500 rpm. My torque table was limiting me as the engine was creating more torque than the stock table was requesting (go figure :/). So I adjusted my fueling to account for the additional air and added 10 percent to the higher end of my torque tables. Hopefully, I see higher rpms tomorrow (I was limited to around 4,500) and higher boost.

image.png

Edited by LittleBlue!

Got up early and took the car out before heading to work to make sure the car ran good for a daily commute. Seems the changes I made helped but I'm 85% sure I've maxed out my MAP sensor. Hopefully,  I'll order one at work today. I think I want a 2 bar because I will never exceed that and the resolution will be better than a 3 bar because it would have a smaller VVE table. Until then, my boost reading tips out at 4.21. Unfortunately, my mechanical boost gauge seems to be less than reliable so I may have to tinker with that or replace it here soon.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:45 PM, Shinobi777 said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12592525 Good news..as far as the MAP sensor goes at least. Summit Racing sells the GM 3 bar sensors. 

I ordered this sensor this morning. I was hoping for a 2 bar option but this is OEM and looks like a direct fit, not to mention the price was right. I ended up splurging a bit on delivery but there is a live tuning session on goat rope garage on Thursday so if I have questions I can ask then. Otherwise, I can send tunes in via email and I will be scheduling another session for October. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had my second tuning session with Goat Rope Garage on Saturday. We adjusted my torque tables, driver demand table, and the variable camshaft tables. The car is running like a top. The two areas that I would like to improve are low rpm range acceleration (driver demand table) and power enrichment. I have a cvt transmission, so I know I will be somewhat limited on the low rpm acceleration. Long story short, I'm hitting 5 psi of boost and 6k+rpm and the little car sounds like a whistling monster. Couldn't be happier with the progress 

I have another tuning session tomorrow. I decided to break up this month's hour and I've only used about 20 minutes this month. Tomorrow I plan to focus on torque based tuning. The modifications made to my car has changed the fueling and torque. In order to determine how much I need to modify the torque tables I need to log how much torque the engine is actually making compared to what is being requested. I'm setting up a histogram that logs engine torque on a chart with the x axis being rpm and the y axis being cylinder airmass. Tomorrow I will log the engine torque and look at how far of the current tune tables are. I will start putting together some videos showing the process to help better explain this but these tables and the fueling tables are really key with these newer torque based ecus.

Really wish I had the time to buy and tune the HP tuners pro kit. Maybe in the future. Love seeing the progress updates! I've come a long way but, I feel there is still a long way to go. It's nice to be able to see someone else get their project to work and have some original information. I am starting to feel how much work you put into your project and respect it.  I really hope you get some decent numbers when everything is running perfect. Can we get make some guesses? 135-140hp to the wheels would be my guess at 8psi. That would make the car fun and honestly I believe it should have came that way!

17 hours ago, thismarks said:

Really wish I had the time to buy and tune the HP tuners pro kit. Maybe in the future. Love seeing the progress updates! I've come a long way but, I feel there is still a long way to go. It's nice to be able to see someone else get their project to work and have some original information. I am starting to feel how much work you put into your project and respect it.  I really hope you get some decent numbers when everything is running perfect. Can we get make some guesses? 135-140hp to the wheels would be my guess at 8psi. That would make the car fun and honestly I believe it should have came that way!

It has bee. A long journey. Some of my modifications were unnecessary but I used this project as a learning process so I guess mission accomplished on that front. I was always hoping for over 100 as a minimum hp and my fantasy was to double the 84 horses mine came with stock. I always thought I would do a dyno and I still might but I'm thinking that money can go into my next project this winter :) There is a calculation for horsepower in hp tuners that I can add to my logs. No clue if it is anywhere near actual or what it is based on but I'll add the channel and log it tomorrow just for fun. 

It's been fun watching your project. You are cruising along. Don't let the bumps get you down' you will just know that much more when you are done. I hit a lot of snags but I think the lessons were well worth it. My favorite part is I get more looks when my spark spools up than I ever do driving around in my s2000 haha

• 3 weeks later...

I am actually really glad you posted this. I'm sure my welds are going to leave something to be desired... I picked up a cheap 140amp DC inverter welder and haven't started welding as I ran into a space issue with my coolant fittings. I'm going to end up with lots of spare turbo pipes, connectors, and fittings. All in the learning process. I'm looking forward to seeing a shot of the whole exhaust if you get a chance. 

Pardon my 1 unrelated post but I just got the first few parts for my next project. I'm putting a gt45 on my v8 4.7 Jeep commander. I would have never thought to try this if I didn't learn by tinkering on my turbo spark project. The size difference is insane. On a related note. This means the spark needs to be reliable on e85 during the MN winter as it will be my daily driver. I have some tuning to do on the cold start side  of the equation. 

20191113_182015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, something has gone catastrophically wrong as I was out and about today. I made it back but it had leaked a good amount of what I'm 99% sure was oil.

Also, I thought it smelt/felt like I was burning the cvt belt but I'm not sure if it is just a belt and that is plausible or it is a chain. Either way, it no longer engages. I did get it to spin the tires on the ice in the driveway when I started it up a few hours later to move it. Luckily, it was in the driveway but that's where it sits.

Now, I'm either going to replace the belt, do a manual swap, or look to a complete drivetrain swap or scrap it and save it for the project after the Jeep. 

Edited by LittleBlue!

Imo, I'd look into the manual swap. It makes the car perform much different and they can be had for a reasonable price from a salvage yard or even eBay. I'm still wondering when 5th gear will be useful as a power gear, but being able to demand the power when needed is so much better. Sad to hear the problems your facing, but I have been there.  Here are a couple of links: Manual  and CVT /Auto

3 hours ago, thismarks said:

Imo, I'd look into the manual swap. It makes the car perform much different and they can be had for a reasonable price from a salvage yard or even eBay. I'm still wondering when 5th gear will be useful as a power gear, but being able to demand the power when needed is so much better. Sad to hear the problems your facing, but I have been there.  Here are a couple of links: Manual  and CVT /Auto

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I will have to dig into what that will entail. I was looking into the cvt and what could be wrong but I think I'm over the cvt to be honest 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:18 PM, LittleBlue! said:

I would not recommend the injectors that I chose unless there really aren't any other options. Are you still looking to do this?

Yes. But insted of turbo, I'm thinking a small supercharger. There's twin screw ones they use on old vw 1600 engines that I think would work well. 

Also, mine is a manual, so I should have the issue with the trans that you did.