• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started fitting the charge pipes today. I'm going to move the intercooler back (towards the radiator) a tiny bit for a better fit but I'm happy with the progress. This bumper literally snaps off and

All of my oil lines are hooked up, I've put gaskets on all of the exhaust connections, everything is set to start. I have tried to start it but I'm getting a laundry list of codes in HP tuners. Nothin

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ec

Posted Images

On 8/20/2018 at 0:50 PM, GammaRadiation said:

You may need to look into a standalone ECU like a megasquirt. 

I had not considered this, thanks for the tip. I did a little research on megasquirt and it seems interesting as an option. I also came across this product  bench force which is available and compatible with my car. 

Here is the option that works for the spark:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/gm-e78-ecm-programming-harness

New website: https://bench-force.com/

After further research, I learned benchforce is for tuning the ecm outside of the car so I don't think I would need this. Maybe for the harness from the hp device MVII to the ecu? Lots to learn, any help is appreciated!

I also learned the computer is known as an e78 and was used from 2011 to 2017 on various engines. If this is accurate, the hp tuner that is available for 2016, as NSE mentioned, may work. 

Here's some info on tuning an e78 with hp tuner: 

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_tuning_how_to_advanced_e78.htm

Edited by LittleBlue!

I'm taking this as a good sign. I recieved a response from HP tuners saying that they cover the 2014 spark but they listed the engine as a 1.4 but it is a 1.2. I asked for clarification and I'm waiting for a response. I think HP tuners is the route I will take unless I get a negative on the 1.2 clarification.

2018-08-22 09.59.08.png

Great news, I have since received confirmation that the 2014 Chevy Spark 1.2 is compatible with HP tuners. I have ordered the HP tuner MVI2. I should get it on Monday. Before then, I want to finish moving the radiator and I will see what I can do tuning pre turbo. I know I can't help but tinker and I assume it could be informative to others on this site. 

I've started another thread specific to tuning the spark to help those interested in tuning in finding the information gained from my experience. 

Edited by LittleBlue!

I ordered a catback exhaust designed for the Sonic. My down pipe and the mid pipe are also designed for the Sonic.

The exhaust is larger in diameter than my stock set up.  The Spark's exhaust is 1.75 ID. These are dimensions from the new system:

4"(OD) Muffler Rolled Tip / 2.25"(ID) Inlet / 2.375"(OD) Main Piping / Double Walled Muffler Tip

I used a discount code for $10 off and only paid $175 for the cat back exhaust from pro tuning labs. If you buy online always check for a coupon code before you check out. I paid $100 for the mid pipe. I think the extra flow will be worth it. 

I will be "up grading" the clamps and not using the ones provided. 

Screenshot_2018-08-31-23-43-56.png

Edited by LittleBlue!

I'm getting ready to cut the cold air intake pipe and finalize my charge pipes.  In the process, I decided the blow off valve will need to be moved a bit. You can see it on the right side of the picture.

I also was brainstorming on locations for the intake. If everything falls into place, I will mount it near the passenger headlight. There is a section in the grill designed for airflow that lines up perfectly with the intake. 

20180903_005716-1.jpg

The exhaust on my Spark is not visible beyond therear bumper. With the Sonic exhaust I believe I will need to address where the exhaust and bumper meet. I actually really like this look and I have only seen it once in person but I'm not interested at this price. I may end up with a DIY version via the Dremel. To be continued.

Screenshot_2018-09-03-19-54-46-1.png

12 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

The exhaust on my Spark is not visible beyond therear bumper. With the Sonic exhaust I believe I will need to address where the exhaust and bumper meet. I actually really like this look and I have only seen it once in person but I'm not interested at this price. I may end up with a DIY version via the Dremel. To be continued.

Screenshot_2018-09-03-19-54-46-1.png

12 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

I used a hole saw when I built the exhaust for mine and it worked out pretty well.

Screenshot_20180904-112651_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been  trying to wring out every last bit of NA power out of my 2015 spark.  Lightning the car helps a lot too... but if you're successful, I'm going turbo all the way too.    I like your idea of keeping the stock compression ratio, the motor will keep good response. And maybe you can bleed off some of the compression with the VVT sprockets if needed.

I finally cut that brand new cold air intake. I will probably tinker with the final fit a bit but not bad for a first timer. I'll have to change one 90° to a 45° but that isn't a huge deal and I can use the 90° on the intake side. The blow off valve and MAF sensor are after the intercooler which is how it should be set up.

20180923_181957-1.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!