My turbo was delivered today. I purchased a used 2016 chevy Cruze turbo online for $120. I plan to put this on my 2014 chevy spark. I'm expecting to run lower psi but it will be high compression and will run on e30 for the additional octane. I know many will say it can't be done but I intend to try while keeping a reasonable budget. I will document my success or failure here. 

20180526_155759-1.jpg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started fitting the charge pipes today. I'm going to move the intercooler back (towards the radiator) a tiny bit for a better fit but I'm happy with the progress. This bumper literally snaps off and

All of my oil lines are hooked up, I've put gaskets on all of the exhaust connections, everything is set to start. I have tried to start it but I'm getting a laundry list of codes in HP tuners. Nothin

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ec

Posted Images

Happy Friday,

My intercooler was delivered today.

What a great way to start the weekend!

Keeping the budget in mind, I went cheap. Aluminum 27"length by 5.5" height by 2.5" width.  I'd like to run hard pipes for the intercooler and intake but we'll see. I'm planning on using the downpipe for the Cruze, I've seen a zzp downpipe for around $200.00.

I've spent $120 on the turbo and $55 on the intercooler. Total expenses to date: $175

20180601_175434.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

I mounted the intercooler over the weekend. It's a little early as I still need  quite a few key components but i wanted to do a test fit and make all the necessary brackets so it will be ready to hook up. I used a step up bit to drill straight into the metal bumper. I made some makeshift brackets out of 90 degree pieces of metal. I'm happy with the location and fit. I think I will now focus on the down pipe and exhaust manifold. 

2018-06-03 12.14.22.jpg

Might want to install a protective screen for stones, etc when you have determined it all works. You will need an ECM reprogram so find a good shop to do that as a very last step once you are satisfied with a final road test if it all fits and works.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Thanks! I hope so, the Cruze is a 1.4 but my spark is a 1.2. My concern with size would be related to back pressure but with a turbo I'm not as concerned. I think I'm going to downsize after the downpipe and use the stock 1.75 exhaust the rest of the way (for now). From what I have read this should work. It will help with the budget and leave a fun project for later. I've done a lot of research but there are still unknowns. It certainly makes it exciting.

Edited by LittleBlue!

I took out the exhaust manifold this weekend for a really basic test fit to get an idea of what kind of space I'm dealing with. It's tight but doable. I ordered my vband clamp for the downpipe and a flange for the exhaust manifold. Now, I'm going to order the pipes from the intercooler to the throttle body. After that, I will be focusing on oil lines. I'll update the budget soon to reflect these parts. 

20180609_175521-1.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

I've ordered 4 ft of 2.5" aluminum tubing for my intercooler pipes. I figure that is a good place to start. I have picked out the boots and clamps to order but I may be able to pick some up cheaper locally so I have not ordered those yet. I'll be on vacation for the weekend and I'm looking forward to coming back to some parts to keep putting the puzzle together. 

Here are the two 2' straight 2.5" aluminum pipes I ordered for my tubing from the intercooler to the throttle body. I will be cutting to fit and using silicon boots as needed. I paid $19.99 for each 2/ft section with free shipping and it was next day (unexpectedly). I'm really happy with the quality for the price. 

$40.00 for piping so far. 

20180613_200255.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • 2 weeks later...

The adjustable blow off valve was recently delivered. I went cheap at around $50 but with positive reviews. I'm happy as of now. I'm really excited that I may have solved the exhaust manifold situation. I have a T3 flange going to a 2.5" vband at a 90 degree bend. It should work perfect with my turbo and the oem manifold... with some cut and paste. More to come 

1529728834465-2014071993.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!