On my 17 spark I did the first oil change myself with 1000 miles on the engine back in February. I now currently have almost 3200 miles. When I changed it I noticed the oil filter that was on the engine at the time was PF64. But the owners manual calls for UPF64R. I put a new UPF64R filter on as part of the change. What is the difference between the two. Should I use the UPF64R or can I use the PF64 since it was on from the factory and is cheaper at Walmart? Also, could I use 0w20 oil since that is what is used from the factory on the 2018 spark? Is there much of a difference between 0w 20 and 5w20? Thanks. I have only changed the oil once on this car so far. 

20180404_121112.jpg

Stick to the oil listed on manual.  They could of changed the pump or oil flow for the 2018 model.  As far as upf64r its supposed to be better.  For those long range oil change intervals.  Example on the fiat if i buy the one with the “u” its garanteed for 15000 miles. 15k lol.  The regular one says only 6k.  The fiat changes every 7k.  I use the regular mopar one from dealer.  Never had an issue. 

It honestly depends on where you live. 

On my 2016 Spark, the owner's manual recommends 5-W20 oil, except if you live in a very cold climate.

The most important thing to remember is to buy oil that is certified Dexos 1 Gen2.

You can find an up to date list of certified engine oil at this link:

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Here is what the manual says about the oil type:

Use SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade engine oil. SAE 0W-20 may be used as an alternative.

Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29°C (−20°F), an SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Edited by Alexandre Dubé
Added Dexos specification

Also, about the oil change interval... That's a hot topic :P

Ddepending on who you ask, you will get different answers.

The owner's manual says that the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year, every 12000km (7500 miles) or within 1000km (600 miles) of the oil change indicator turning on, whichever comes first. 

I'd also recommend using full synthetic oil.

In my case, I live in a very cold area and harsh weather, so I prefer to change it twice a year:

Once in fall (mid november) with 0-W20 and once in spring (around april) with 5-W20.

It's probably overkill, and I could be okay with changing it only when the indicator comes on, but I prefer to be safe than sorry later on (I plan to keep my car 10+ years).

I hope this answers your questions! 

Men tend to change oil and girl friends more frequently than necessary compared to women changing oil and boy friends. Just an observation! :victory:

After 57 years of driving car, here is what learned about oil changes. It depends on your driving habits and health of your engine.  oil which looks fairly clear on the dipstick and does not have a burned smell has more life left. Motor oil has 2 main functions, lubricate piston rings and remove some heat. Those 2 qualities are retained by oil if it passes the visual and smell test. If you make lot of short trip, your engine will collect more water condensation and that can can cause rust inside the engine. Oil has additives to fight rust, and those properties can wear out with age of oil.

We have a HHR with a 4 banger engine and since last oil change in April 2017 with semi-synthetic, we have driven 11,000 miles, all highway mostly. Oil still looks great and should be good for another 6 months or 8000 miles based on how we use it.

OTOH my 2017 Spark does all in town driving, and I will change oil by 6 months or 5000 miles whichever comes first.