I have a question about the CVT transmission in my 2017.  The owners manual lists a schedule for fluid and filter change in the automatic but there is no listing for the CVT transmission.  My local dealer said that the fluid is lifetime but what do they consider lifetime they couldn't say and Chevrolet Customer Service was less than helpful, again giving the answer it was lifetime fluid but what they considered lifetime they couldn't tell me.  I'm just over 64k miles already....Does any one happen to know what Chevy considers lifetime or what the fluid replacement schedule should be

Looking at owner's manual for my 2017 Spark LS, there is no fluid change specified/necessary for the CVT under normal operating conditions.

Under severe operating conditions, owner's manual recommends changing transmission fluid every 45,000 miles. "Severe" applies if any of  following applies: 

. Mainly driven in heavy city traffic
in hot weather.
. Mainly driven in hilly or
mountainous terrain.
. Frequently towing a trailer.
. Used for high speed or
competitive driving.
. Used for taxi, police, or delivery
service.

Edited by Bobby MSME

As Bobby said..severe at 45Kmi..so my suggestion ...just to be safe with the 100Kmi powertrain warranty...might be wise to replace fluid at just before the 100Kmi, but quite honestly, I would personally not ever change it at below 200Kmi.

16 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

Looking at owner's manual for my 2017 Spark LS, there is no fluid change specified/necessary for the CVT under normal operating conditions.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, Bobby MSME said:

Under severe operating conditions, owner's manual recommends changing transmission fluid every 45,000 miles. "Severe" applies if any of  following applies: 

. Mainly driven in heavy city traffic
in hot weather.
. Mainly driven in hilly or
mountainous terrain.
. Frequently towing a trailer.
. Used for high speed or
competitive driving.
. Used for taxi, police, or delivery
service.

By the very nature of a CVT it runs very hot all the time. Therefore, as far as the CVT is concerned that is severe driving. I would most definitely change it before 50,000 miles. Seems a fluid change fixes a lot of problems with that Jatco CVT unit!