Newbie to Spark, should I buy?

Hello everyone, I am in the market for a new car and at work/bodyshop we have a Spark.  I've always loved a two door hatch and even though the Spark is a four door, it kind of looks like a two door.  I've read some headlines and some articles about recalls, cvt issues, coolant resevoir problems and airbags stuff.  Honesty, I'm now more hesitant to head to the Chevy dealership after reading some of these conversations.  I want an auto and am totally over shifting a 5 speed, but the cvt stuff seems to be quite troublesome with all the trips to the dealer and some people even hiring a lawyer....no thanks.  My question would be, If I do decide to go with a Spark, should I stay away from the 17s and go with an 18 or go Toyota or Hyundai?    Thanks in advance.  

Mark

If you can pick up a new 2017 at discount, I would go that route. I bought a new one 14 months ago for around $13k. It should be discounted a lot by now?
My 2017 CVT runs like a newly oiled clock, granted I do not put on lot of miles.

The coolant tank issues are mostly for older models, and even if a replacement

becomes necessary for the newer models, cost is not high. 

Here is my take on the CVT...it is an advance design but seems best for drivers who

do not floor the gas pedal often.  It's response is instantaneous with little lag, because it is a metal chain driving a metal pulley. It is fun to drive a car which responds so quickly and positively to gas pedal operation. On negative side, I understand dealer mechanics will not take it apart to repair. The car comes with 5 year/60k mile power train warranty.

Regarding the transmission... CVT takes getting used to, it sounds different, it performs different. But different does not equal bad. The only 'negative' to a CVT is if it needs servicing most all shops are setup to just replace it, there isn't really a repair option or rebuild option for the CVT. BUT, if you have severe transmission issues years after ownership when the warranty expires, its unlikely major repair would be cheaper anyway.

You have to pick your poison in life, and a CVT actually runs smoother than traditional automatic transmissions and is far less shifty and jerky than a dual clutch transmission, which has become popular as well in modern day. DCT is too jerky for my liking, so I prefer a CVT or a traditional automatic.

i think you should get it. i paid 10k for a new 2017. the engine seems reliable and the tranny is japan so it should be good too. i love hate the cvt. love that you can do 80mph and it sits at 2200 rpm. cant do that with my fiat screaming at 4000 rpm to do 80mph. Hate the cvt because there is a delay after you gas from a red light. im guessing its cuz the hill assist. maybe???? there is a shorter delay when you want to floor it. just sits there thinking if its going to hunt for a gear or close the pulley. other than that love the color, love the dash, love the engine (sounds good when you floor it) and love the the body shape/style. 

Edited by Splash Spark
  • 1 month later...

I personally have seen it closer to 2500-2600 at 75-80 mph but that is still better than 3000+ rpm as in my old 2013 corolla. The engine I noticed as well as the car in general is made in Korea so I'm guessing it should be reliable as most cars made in Korea are about as reliable as Japanese cars. I guess the only thing I don't like about this car is the brakes could be a little bit stronger but I think that is because of the size of the front disc/rear drum brakes. Other than that I like the car. I kinda would have liked to see a 6 speed automatic but it is what it is. Thanks. 

• 7 months later...