P0132 P0138 error code - O2 sensor

Hi, 

After my recent cleanup, I put it on idling as I am not driving it much. Just plugged OBD2 adaptor and this time it gave 2 error code (1st time in 3 yrs).

P0132, P0138 - O2 sensor high voltage (sensor1 &2).

I am worried as I am not good with engine and transmission part.

Just to add, for last 2 -3 weeks when I idle it, it smell like gas for while and when I checked in bonnet nothing found or smelled.

Can someone suggest me what to do next? And if, this is minor or major issue?

Edited by ChevyBeat
  • 1 month later...

Update -

Ok, so finally last week tried clearing the fault code and these not returned after that.

Another thing noticed, 2 days back battery was out of juice, reason, it was sitting idle for last 2 months, although I keep engine running for 5 min in every 7-10days. :hammer_self:

Just a doubt, if low voltage from battery can generate such codes, as a side effect.

Hi Chevy beat...

If battery is more than 5 years old, it is possible it will charge OK, but if left idle for a week, will not hold the charge very well.

If the error codes did not re-appear after clearing, chalk it down to intermittent mis-behavior by some component. So long as car is running good now, do not worry too much about it. When the fault code shows up again and stays on, only then the dealer or other shop can do something about it. In the meanwhile, enjoy life without worries.

• 11 months later...

Struck by luck again!!!:banghead:

This time I got P0138 (O2 sensor circuit high voltage (Bank1 Sensor2)) and more importantly "check engine" light.

I didn't try to clear it as I was on way. But this time I am more concerned due to check engine light.

Can someone tell where are these O2 sensor located. I am afraid this may be caused by loose connection or so. Just to add, my car got a wash yesterday and I remember guy cleaning bonnet area with compressed air (or water). :sad:

P.S. this time I am ruling out battery as problem since I have driven car for good amount (400km in 2 weeks against 100km in a month) recently.

Edited by ChevyBeat

Common young man, why not wash your car yourself? I am late 70's and wash the car myself. My last car, a very nice Pontiac G5 was messed up by the dealer mechanic who changed coolant. He obviously left an air pocket in the system, and when I picked up the car, it was immediately running 10 deg hotter than last 7 years. That destroyed the valves! Now I avoid dealer car monkeys unless warranty is active. Do as much yourself as you can!

Hi Bobby,

I don't have parking place in house and it is parked at nearby friend's house. I do dry cleaning of my car myself as the place I park, I can't go for water washing. I love to make it clean and do betterment small things.

I normally outsource cleaning job when I drive out of town (especially going into village or some dirty road area) to get underbelly cleaned.

I certainly prefer to do job myself for learning and off course because GM service centre guy are not good. They overfill the liquids and create so much mess. I do one visit a year as these people make noise when you met accident and call for insurance.

22 hours ago, ChevyBeat said:

Struck by luck again!!!:banghead:

This time I got P0138 (O2 sensor circuit high voltage (Bank1 Sensor2)) and more importantly "check engine" light.

I didn't try to clear it as I was on way. But this time I am more concerned due to check engine light.

Can someone tell where are these O2 sensor located. I am afraid this may be caused by loose connection or so. Just to add, my car got a wash yesterday and I remember guy cleaning bonnet area with compressed air (or water). :sad:

P.S. this time I am ruling out battery as problem since I have driven car for good amount (400km in 2 weeks against 100km in a month) recently.

There are 2 o2 sensors on my 2014 spark. The first is accessible under the hood in front of the engine and under the heatsheild covering the exhaust. It comes out of the exhaust just before the first big catalytic converter. The second o2 sensor is under the car in the middle of the exhaust, near the oil pan area. This is the post catalytic converter and likely the one you are interested in as it should be sensor 2 (further downstream)

If you rule out a wiring issue and determine the sensor is still good, it may be a bad catalytic converter. You can replace the converter or put an anti spark plug fouler on the end to bring the o2 sensor further out of the exhaust so it picks up less emissions and doesn't trigger a code. 

I found this, it may be helpful as well:

Take the sensors from bank 2 and swap them with bank 1, clear the code and drive around, if the code comes up as bank 2 again, you'll know it's the cat, if the code comes up as bank 1 it's the sensors. the sensors can be tested with a multimeter, checking resistance on each pin.

Hope this helps out!

Edited by LittleBlue!
1 hour ago, LittleBlue! said:

There are 2 o2 sensors on my 2014 spark. The first is accessible under the hood in front of the engine and under the heatsheild covering the exhaust. It comes out of the exhaust just before the first big catalytic converter. The second o2 sensor is under the car in the middle of the exhaust, near the oil pan area. This is the post catalytic converter and likely the one you are interested in as it should be sensor 2 (further downstream)

If you rule out a wiring issue and determine the sensor is still good, it may be a bad catalytic converter. You can replace the converter or put an anti spark plug fouler on the end to bring the o2 sensor further out of the exhaust so it picks up less emissions and doesn't trigger a code. 

I found this, it may be helpful as well:

Take the sensors from bank 2 and swap them with bank 1, clear the code and drive around, if the code comes up as bank 2 again, you'll know it's the cat, if the code comes up as bank 1 it's the sensors. the sensors can be tested with a multimeter, checking resistance on each pin.

Hope this helps out!

Thanks LittleBlue.

I will certainly check which is easily accessible since I can't get a helping hand and I really novice for car working.

And yes, I am also following your turbo project. Wishing you good luck for that!!!

Thanks LittleBlue, Bobby for your valuable suggestions.

So this time again it turned out a false alarm. :gaah: Today I went and 1st started looking for sensor location. Luckily, pointed sensor 1, although alarm was for sensor 2 which I can't able to see, it need car to be lifted up. Finally, decided to try my luck. Kept fingers crossed, turned engine and the ugly "Yellow" check engine light is gone. Cleared P0138 via obd adaptor and turned engine again to verify and its all good.

Thanks to this episode, I learnt a little about O2 sensor. Now, I assume that the water jet possibly hit the sensor and due to moisture it generated higher voltage than 0.3V and ECU estimated it error.

Keeping it under observation for driving some miles.