2016-2017-2018 Spark Engines are Great!

GM 1.4-Liter I4 Ecotec LV7 Engine

The LV7 is a naturally-aspirated 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine produced by General Motors for use in small (city-class and subcompact) vehicles. The LV7 is part of an all-new, modular family of engines launching in the 2015-2016 time period.

The new family of engines was engineered to deliver strong performance with excellent efficiency and is part of a clean-sheet design and engineering process that leveraged the diverse experience of GM’s global resources.

“The new Ecotec architecture represents the most advanced and efficient family of small-car gas engines in GM’s history,” said Tom Sutter, global chief engineer. “Along with performance and efficiency targets, we’ve also aimed for segment-challenging refinement with low noise and vibration – and we’ve hit the bulls-eye.”

The new 1.4-liter four-cylinder Ecotec is known by its LV7 production code. Notable technologies and features of the new engine include:

• Aluminum cylinder block and head, helping to reduce the vehicle’s overall mass to enhance performance and efficiency
  • Integrated exhaust manifold on the cylinder head, which further reduces weight, helping to further contribute to increased vehicle efficiency and a more favorable front-to-rear weight balance for a more responsive driving experience
  • Reduced friction, including low-friction piston rings, a low-friction camshaft drive and a low-friction oil pump to increase engine efficiency
  • Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) configuration with Variable Valve Timing

GM first announced the 1.4L LV7 for the 2016 Chevrolet Spark.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv7/

"Reduced friction, including low-friction piston rings, a low-friction camshaft drive and a low-friction oil pump to increase engine efficiency"

Thanx Bobby...The lower friction component aspect stands out for me since this will contribute to a longer component/engine life. I have previously looked into this line of GM engines with their torque at lower and upper rpm's and I think they have a winner on their new LV7. This fairly flat torque aspect is also well suited to a CVT. I have a fairly flat torque at all RPM's on my newer marine engine and it saves on gas while providing lower maintenance and power at all RPM's. I can now do a long cruise at about 1,800 rpm with a larger prop making good speed at a lot less fuel consumption and saving the higher rpm's for rough weather. Good post!

The 1.2 used in the first gen spark has the same basic features , low friction , forged rods .    Not much changed but your getting a slightly larger and more powerful motor with the 1.4 that’s welcome . They are good strong low maintenance engines across the generations  . 

On 3/18/2018 at 9:49 AM, sparkfanatic said:

The 1.2 used in the first gen spark has the same basic features , low friction , forged rods .    Not much changed but your getting a slightly larger and more powerful motor with the 1.4 that’s welcome . They are good strong low maintenance engines across the generations  . 

The 2017 is my first Spark, so yes, I really like how peppy this little car is with the 1.4 liter 4 banger. I just know if I ever let my wife drive it, she will want to trade in her not so peppy HHR for a Spark. But I am afraid the CVT may not last with her lead foot.