silverspark78

Tire rotation and oil change for 2017 spark.

8 posts in this topic

1.) Tire rotations -  It says in the owners manual 7,500 miles (which dealership recommends 5,000 miles). Isn't there a 6 month requirement if you don't drive 5000-7500 miles by 6 months? 

2.) Oil changes - Again in the book it says 7500 miles or no longer than a year. 

Is this correct? The dealer says just go by mileage.  

Can I switch over to full synthetic anytime after the free oil changes? 

I'd go by 10Kmi for the rotations and one year 10Kmi as well for synthetic oil which you can change to at any time. That way you make one trip for rotation and oil. Synthetic will improve mileage and engine life.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, silverspark78 said:

1.) Tire rotations -  It says in the owners manual 7,500 miles (which dealership recommends 5,000 miles). Isn't there a 6 month requirement if you don't drive 5000-7500 miles by 6 months? 

2.) Oil changes - Again in the book it says 7500 miles or no longer than a year. 

Is this correct? The dealer says just go by mileage.  

Can I switch over to full synthetic anytime after the free oil changes? 

Until your warranty expires follow the book regardless of what the dealership says. If you have an extended warranty contract follow the requirements on the contract or you may be denied coverage if something goes wrong.

If your dealer is putting conventional oil in your engine they are putting the wrong oil as the spark takes synthetic. 

I change my oil every 6 months and rotate the tires at the same time, I don't drive enough to reach the mileage. 

51 Champ likes this

I purchased the car on Dec 27 2017.  The car was manufactured August 2017. I  only had about maybe 600 miles on the car at the the time. I went in and they said I was too early to just wait until 5000 miles for the rotation and dont worry about the time. 

I also though it was a synthetic blend that was supposed to be used. Is synthetic blend put in at the factory? 

My 2013 Spark came with the factory conventional oil. I was told the 'oil life monitor' was calibrated at the factory for conventional oil. I use synthetic and just change it once a year.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, silverspark78 said:

I also though it was a synthetic blend that was supposed to be used. Is synthetic blend put in at the factory? 

Yes. GM's Dexos oil is a blend. My first two oil changes are free. Had my first change at 1200mi. Will have my second change at 6000mi. After that I will either continue with a synthetic blend or splurge for full synthetic. 

Here is What I have used for oil changes since 1964 when I started buying only new cars.

Never had engine issues in 54 years traced to oil change. The only time I had engine problem was when I had coolant changed by dealer and they left air pocket in the coolant system.

non synthetic - 3000 miles or 12 months

Synthetic blend - 6000 miles or 12 months

Never used full synthetic!

Edited by Bobby MSME