Tire rotation and oil change for 2017 spark.

1.) Tire rotations -  It says in the owners manual 7,500 miles (which dealership recommends 5,000 miles). Isn't there a 6 month requirement if you don't drive 5000-7500 miles by 6 months? 

2.) Oil changes - Again in the book it says 7500 miles or no longer than a year. 

Is this correct? The dealer says just go by mileage.  

Can I switch over to full synthetic anytime after the free oil changes? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, silverspark78 said:

1.) Tire rotations -  It says in the owners manual 7,500 miles (which dealership recommends 5,000 miles). Isn't there a 6 month requirement if you don't drive 5000-7500 miles by 6 months? 

2.) Oil changes - Again in the book it says 7500 miles or no longer than a year. 

Is this correct? The dealer says just go by mileage.  

Can I switch over to full synthetic anytime after the free oil changes? 

Until your warranty expires follow the book regardless of what the dealership says. If you have an extended warranty contract follow the requirements on the contract or you may be denied coverage if something goes wrong.

If your dealer is putting conventional oil in your engine they are putting the wrong oil as the spark takes synthetic. 

I change my oil every 6 months and rotate the tires at the same time, I don't drive enough to reach the mileage. 

On 2/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, silverspark78 said:

I also though it was a synthetic blend that was supposed to be used. Is synthetic blend put in at the factory? 

Yes. GM's Dexos oil is a blend. My first two oil changes are free. Had my first change at 1200mi. Will have my second change at 6000mi. After that I will either continue with a synthetic blend or splurge for full synthetic. 

• 7 months later...

Here is What I have used for oil changes since 1964 when I started buying only new cars.

Never had engine issues in 54 years traced to oil change. The only time I had engine problem was when I had coolant changed by dealer and they left air pocket in the coolant system.

non synthetic - 3000 miles or 12 months

Synthetic blend - 6000 miles or 12 months

Never used full synthetic!

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 1 year later...

I have a '17 Spark, owned it for 2 and a half years now. I exhausted my freebie oil changes for the first 4 changes, but I finally bit the bullet and started changing my own oil. Since I'm an amateur, it takes me longer since I have to figure out how to properly jack the car up without the best tools to do it. As it stands, I think your best bet is just to regularly look at the oil and check the basics: is it low? Does the color look good? If it looks good and isn't low, there's no reason to change it before the indicator goes off. The Sparks' 5W-20 blend is super thin and lasts longer than older, thicker oil blends.

In so far as rotating tires, I have now switch out winter tires every November, so I end up rotating them when I do the seasonal switch.

One thing I think is that oil change shops are seriously overbilling for the 5W-20 blend, I spent nearly $80 before I decided to do my own oil changes. Now I grab a 5L bottle of SuperTech 5W-20 at Walmart for well under $20, buy a FRAM filter under $5 and bam, I have a sub-$30 oil change. I'm not sure why it takes $80 for an oil shop to do the change (takes all of 10 mins labour), and I see no need to waste the cash any longer at an oil shop where they over-torque the oil drain plug/screw.

Edited by sparkto
21 hours ago, sparkto said:

I'm not sure why it takes $80 for an oil shop to do the change (takes all of 10 mins labour), and I see no need to waste the cash any longer at an oil shop where they over-torque the oil drain plug/screw.

Your oil change costs only $30 because you are doing all the labor.

The shop has to buy the oil, stock the oil, same with filter. Then they have to do the oil change, and dispose off the used oil & filter.

My dealer sends me coupons for full synthetic oil change for $50+tax. For an old fart like me, it is just not worth it to do it myself. I hate getting under the jacked up car. And getting rid of the used oil is another trip somewhere (not legal to dump it in sewer or in garbage pickup).

Edited by Bobby MSME
1 hour ago, Bobby MSME said:

Your oil change costs only $30 because you are doing all the labor.

The shop has to buy the oil, stock the oil, same with filter. Then they have to do the oil change, and dispose off the used oil & filter.

My dealer sends me coupons for full synthetic oil change for $50+tax. For an old fart like me, it is just not worth it to do it myself. I hate getting under the jacked up car. And getting rid of the used oil is another trip somewhere (not legal to dump it in sewer or in garbage pickup).

I can see both sides of this. I get why it costs more and I understand the convenience. I've just been raised stubborn to the point that I cut my own hair. Whatever works best for you is what people should do (obviously). But diy is an option and a full synthetic oil change is $50 or less diy on these. I just like doing it on my schedule and somI just don't like dealing with people.  Givea me an excuse to crack a beer in the garage. Bobby, it sounds like you got a good connection and a good deal so I'm happy to hear that!

Edited by LittleBlue!
13 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

I can see both sides of this. I get why it costs more and I understand the convenience. I've just been raised stubborn to the point that I cut my own hair. Whatever works best for you is what people should do (obviously). But diy is an option and a full synthetic oil change is $50 or less diy on these. I just like doing it on my schedule and somI just don't like dealing with people.  Givea me an excuse to crack a beer in the garage. Bobby, it sounds like you got a good connection and a good deal so I'm happy to hear that!

You are right on all points., I did DIY oil changes from age 30 when I first owned a home with garage until age 71 when I moved into a condo in Florida with no garage! One of the reasons I did it myself because of couple of bad experiences. One time the oil change shop messed up threads of the inlet port where the oil drain plug fits. The person did not bother to do a few turns by hand before using power wrench, is what I am guessing. They had to rebore the opening and thread it and use an oversize plug. Another time at another quick oil change shop they installed wrong oil filter! As I am driving away, I noticed a trail of oil behind me, and was able to pull back in the shop before engine damage happened. With all the hundreds of oil changes I did in my garage, I never had a single issue. Only problem I remember is in one of my cars the oil filter was very difficult to access. 

Now at age 79, I just stop by at the dealer where I bought the 2017 Spark LS and have them do the oil change. They even wash the car!