Hi I'm doing some research about turbocharging the spark and today I took some pictures of the 1.4 turbo ecotec in the 2017 cruze. I think it might just bolt on our engines next would be engine management I guess, I'm not an expert :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kRrhFm1Hohg6rWlX2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6J08NQHSisMAeeMS2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PhULzUlbQZ86StlF2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtwoBD5BrX3eyZN22

I believe the 1.4 block/heads are the same but the pistons and crank in the turbo are forged vs. cast in the NA engine. The higher compression cast pistons in the Spark would have a short lifespan if force fed. Without swapping out the cast parts for forged it would run but for how long under full boost until meltdown/breakage is anyone's guess. Would probably be much simpler finding a totaled cruze for cheap and doing a whole engine/computer swap into the Spark. 

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to do what you are describing. I have a 2014 chevy spark and I'm working on putting a 2016 chevy cruze turbo on it. It's definitely not "bolt on" ready. I'm enjoying the project so far though. Hindsight, I would probably look for a universal turbo due to the flange shape and sizes. No major complaints yet though. 

Edited by LittleBlue!
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic but my wife just got a Trax with the 1.4 Turbo and it seems (keep in mind I'm a computer guy not a mechanic), the engine mounts and everything are exactly the same in the 2018 Trax 1.4 Turbo as they are in my 2017 Spark 1.4.....seems like that would be a much easier swap.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, MacintoshGuy said:

I know this is an old topic but my wife just got a Trax with the 1.4 Turbo and it seems (keep in mind I'm a computer guy not a mechanic), the engine mounts and everything are exactly the same in the 2018 Trax 1.4 Turbo as they are in my 2017 Spark 1.4.....seems like that would be a much easier swap.

My wife has a '17 Trax, and I ALSO work in IT... what a coincidence.

The reason the mounts are the same for the Trax is that it's built on the same chassis as the Spark (Sonic too). The Trax engine however is a different family, meaning you'd have to figure out all the myriad of things that are different vs. the Cruze motor which is roughly the same bottom end (exceptions noted in previous posts), so in theory should be able to accommodate either Cruze or Spark mounts as their positions on the block would be the same.

What I have found from my own light research is that the MAP sensor across the 1.4 in our cars appears to be able to read boost from the factory.. oil pan is different between cruze + spark... cruze is DI vs SFI on the spark, and the CR's are different. It's very likely that you COULD bolt on the cruze 1.4 turbo + all its associated lines to the spark 1.4, AND HPTuners now supports the spark so you CAN tune the PCM for it. Mostly I'm waiting on my warranty to expire so I can play

• 3 weeks later...

I know couple people that work for GM and was pointed into another direction for a turbo Spark.  Chevy in Colombia sells an M400 platform Spark GT Turbo, I'm still trying to work out all the details (I don't speak Spanish very well so I have to have a friend intemperate for me) but on the upside once I have all the details (like parts numbers), my local dealer parts department (Imperial Chevrolet Mendon, MA) has told me that because the car is sold under the Chevrolet Brand they would be able to order the parts for me even though they weren't sold in the US or made available to US buyers.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2018 at 3:47 AM, MacintoshGuy said:

I know couple people that work for GM and was pointed into another direction for a turbo Spark.  Chevy in Colombia sells an M400 platform Spark GT Turbo, I'm still trying to work out all the details (I don't speak Spanish very well so I have to have a friend intemperate for me) but on the upside once I have all the details (like parts numbers), my local dealer parts department (Imperial Chevrolet Mendon, MA) has told me that because the car is sold under the Chevrolet Brand they would be able to order the parts for me even though they weren't sold in the US or made available to US buyers.

The Chevy site in Colombia shows only one Spark GT and it’s based on the M300 using the same 1.2L engine with no turbo.  The M400 model isn’t even sold in Colombia https://www.chevrolet.com.co/carros/spark-gt-carro-pequeno/especificaciones-versiones. Your best bet is to find a wrecked 2018 or newer Sonic Turbo and get the engine, tranny, ECU, wiring harness and swap it into the Spark.  Better yet see if the 1.5L turbo engine fits sinc that has more power.

• 3 years later...