Hello,

I had a cracked reservoir and the replacement arrived today.  I've more or less been adding only water the last couple of months.

As the car has 105,000 miles, I plan to go ahead and drain all coolant and replace with fresh.

Does the open petcock drain all the fluid out? (5 quarts I understand).

Or is there block drain plug(s) to get all the fluid out of the block?

I recall on my SBC's the petcock would only drain 50% (2 gallons).   To get the remain 2 gallons out you'd have to remove 2 knock sensors that would drain an additional gallon each.

Thanks!

Joey

on my 2013 i just unscrewed the 2 ( or 3)  bolts  disconnected the hoses  one at a time and quickly reconnected it to the new overflow tank and lost minimal fluid. No need to drain radiator. Or at least for me .

Edited by tfraser3
add two words
1 minute ago, tfraser3 said:

on my 2013 i just unscrewed the 2 ( or 3)  bolts  disconnected the hoses  one at a time and quickly reconnected it to the new overflow tank and lost minimal fluid. No need to drain radiator. Or at least for me .

Unless your fluid is really bad and discolored  its probably fine.  especially if you have had a leak for a while.

6 hours ago, tfraser3 said:

Unless your fluid is really bad and discolored  its probably fine.  especially if you have had a leak for a while.

Reading is good for ya... He said he has been filling up with water only... so the mixture in his cooling system is wrong now. He wants to drain all of it to make it right.