What is going on with the CVT in my 2017 Spark LS?

This Spark is now 8 months old. During the first 4-5 months I noticed a distinct problem with the  CVT getting confused when I was coasting at around 5-10 MPH, and pushed down on gas pedal to accelerate. The engine would rev up but the car did not accelerate accordingly. This behavior never happened at speed above 20 MPH. At higher speeds, the response to gas pedal was always positive with little lag.

Now for the last 3-4 months, that CVT mis-behavior seems to have disappeared. Only 2 things are possible. Either I have learned how to avoid that problem -or- the CVT computer has learned on it's own to work better? May be I am instinctively pushing down the accelerator gently at slow speeds. Because I don't think the CVT computer is self-learning. Although I have been told that if you disconnects the battery for a few minutes, then the car's computer will re-learn your driving habits and adjust to them.

Edited by Bobby MSME
11 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Ha Bobby! You, once again, are 100% correct. the CVT control does not have AI (Artificial Intelligence)..I think your mind is slowly making adjustments to your driving habits..so on and so forth and the CVT remains as is....We just don't notice it so much when we get older.....

I don't think it is age.. it is just getting used to driving the car, and knowing what to do to get the right response from the car. My car "behaves" a lot better now than it did when I bought it.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:13 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

Ha Bobby! You, once again, are 100% correct. the CVT control does not have AI (Artificial Intelligence)..I think your mind is slowly making adjustments to your driving habits..so on and so forth and the CVT remains as is....We just don't notice it so much when we get older.....

Gear Head...I know you would never make fun my old age. Every time a younger person makes fun of my old age, I tell them "listen pal, if you get lucky, you might live long enough to make it to my age" hahaha

From your comment and Mr Tozzi's comment, I now conclude that my brain has made the adjustment on how to drive the Spark with CVT in a manner which minimizes it's mis-behavior. The CVT is no smarter than the day I bought it.

After 8 months, the Spark runs like the day I drove off the car lot. The engine starts at the flick of the key, and runs so quiet and smooth, I can't hear it. May be I need hearing aid being so old? haha.. 

Another one of my driving habit is to shift the CVT in neutral when stopped at a red light which I know from experience will stay red for over 2 minutes. I like that the regular drive gear is straight down, and the car won'r accidentally shift into lowest gear. I have upped the tire pressures to 37 psi in all wheels. That does not cause any noticeable harsher ride, while improves steering, and gas mileage (37.6 in town).

Edited by Bobby MSME
On 10/11/2017 at 8:26 PM, Mr.tozzi said:

I don't think it is age.. it is just getting used to driving the car, and knowing what to do to get the right response from the car. My car "behaves" a lot better now than it did when I bought it.

Thanks Mr Tozzi for defending the old age situation :)

10 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Old or not, the tire pressure should be 40psi min. & not 37psi on the 185/15/55 tires. Don't expect Tozzi to bail you out of this one...

Doesn't he have a newer spark? If he does they call for 35psi on the sticker.

Ours say 40 and still eats the outer threads but that may be related to my bad driving habits.

12 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

Ours say 40 and still eats the outer threads but that may be related to my bad driving habits.

That sounds correct Tozzi...I was going by the 2013 Spark...and you're right about those tires eating the outer tread area...I now have 201/15/50 and find them a bit smoother ride and still handles well without the outer tread wear. I keep them at 40psi..5psi above recommended.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, Mr.tozzi said:

Fantastic memory Mr.tozzi...correct you are! I am driving a 2017 Spark LS, 35 psi recommended. I could go to 40 psi, but that could make noticeably harsher ride, and extra punishment for the suspension components. Better to replace tires instead of shocks, ball joints and springs.