Recently, MyLink has stayed on the startup phase when I turn my car on (picture). 

No radio, no music, no sound....ON-Star also does not respond. 

I have searched the web and have found many owners to have the same problem but I can't find a solution. The dealership, from where I bought my 2013 Spark, wants to charge me $130 to run diagnostic....any advice folks? 

MyLink.png

On 9/7/2017 at 0:18 PM, Mr.tozzi said:

pull the negative lead from the battery for a good 15-30min plug it back in.... If it doesn't reset itself then pay the dealer to fix it or buy a better head unit.

I checked on Ebay and found the same head unit for under a $100. The seller describes the unit is in great condition and has a perfect rating.

Can I just "plug and play" the new head unit or are head units locked to individual cars? 

Supposedly it won't work. Each Mylink has a specific key that has to match the key in the main ECM. There was a bulletin posted a couple of years ago about not pulling Mylinks from like cars for diagnostics. It will either not work right off the bat or it will cause issues sometime down the road. A brand new one has no key and will request one from the ECM the first time it is turned on. 

I would go with something aftermarket. 

8 hours ago, Ray Dockrey said:

Supposedly it won't work. Each Mylink has a specific key that has to match the key in the main ECM. There was a bulletin posted a couple of years ago about not pulling Mylinks from like cars for diagnostics. It will either not work right off the bat or it will cause issues sometime down the road. A brand new one has no key and will request one from the ECM the first time it is turned on. 

I would go with something aftermarket. 

I second the aftermarket route. May cost a little more but you get what you want/need for the money you want to pay for it.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, bluer101 said:

Last month the mylink in the Spark did the same thing, faint glow of the mylink logo and no boot. I tried everything and still broken. So I decided to replace it with an android head unit. 

15789D9C-7634-4118-BECB-E8802C37854C.jpeg

Which replacement did you buy? It looks awesome. Was it easy to install?

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody 

To help anyone else struggling with this, I have found a thread on the sonic forum that might help. If it keeps trying to boot and cutting itself off then it is stuck in a "bootloop." Apparently it's connected to the door chime recall and another module needs to be updated in order for it to work. With enough evidence (and luck) hopefully your dealership will update it for free. 

Here's the link to the thread I'm talking about: 

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/threads/mylink-stuck-in-bootloop.22216/