Hi I'm in desperate need of any help or suggestions. I purchased a 2013 chevy spark new back in november of 2012. Not long after I starter having problems with the car going into a form of "limp" mode. When the dealership scanned my car it came up as the accelerator module. To make a long story short they attempted to fix my car 6! Times. They replaced the module twice, ecmu (I believe) and completely rewired the ckt. To this day the car still sparaticly does it and I have to shut the car off sometimes several times to clear the mode. After a while the engine light will go out but approxamitly a week later repeat. The dealerships tech manager admitted to a "language barrier" with Korea GM. All I want is the vehicle to function as it should, I'm hooping 5 years later someone has come across the same issue and found resolution. Thanks

I really miss my cars from the 1960's. There was almost no electronics to fail, no sensors to misbehave, no expensive computers to replace, no software with glitches, no fuel injectors to clog up, no power robbing emission controls, and no emission tests. And I could actually get inside the engine compartment and work on things. Oh well, nuff said. Sorry TimCim, I have nothing useful to help you with. 

TimCim, something like that could be any number of things...if the car idles smoothly and runs OK in between your 'low power' mode, it is probably a minor sensor issue. If the car idles rough or is hard to start it would likely be a mechanical issue. You did have the PCV recall done, right?..good luck and keep us up-to-date pls.

And a plus 1 to that Bobby..still the cars today are better built to tighter specs and don't rust as quickly..but, ya, I get your drift... I recall a '69 Roadrunner with a 383cu.in V8 and to increase power all I had to do was change the carb with a huge 1000cfm 'Holly' carb..easy to work on..but..bench seats and looked like a regular sedan. Very fast car and even with 4 or five friends in the car it would take off like a rocket. My girlfriend at the time disliked it because it looked so basic even though she liked the power and joining me at the local drag events..OK..'Nuff said on that stuff..eh?

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Thanks for the replies, it does start and idle smoothly. I think I did have that recall done but to be honest I'd have to look through past paper work on the car to be certain. I've had so many issues with this car I pretty much gave up and vouled to never be another GM... unfortunate  because I'm a union worker and am pro union and pro USA. I know this car is mostly Korean built but at least I was buying into a us car manufacturer, but it seemed to bite me in the behind... I will look into that recall, I'll admit I do not know what that is though. I can't seem to pin it down to a constant when it happens. It's very  sporadic and random. Sometimes it will happen once and be fine for months, other times I literally have to shut the car off dozens of times before it clears. It sounds wild but could it possibly be poor fuel grade and maybe in need of a new knock sensor? Just throwing it out there for the heck of it. Thanks!

Tim, I've been in the same predicament as you for over a year. I've hoped for a resolution but haven't got one. I can never replicate the issue myself; when I take it in, it doesn't happen. I complained to Chevy customer care and asked them about a buyback, to which said it hasn't been taken in enough for that. They eventually gave me a case number to refer to if my car got worse, even outside of the warranty. I'm hanging in there with you too.

On 8/9/2017 at 8:51 PM, TimCim said:

Thanks for the replies, it does start and idle smoothly. I think I did have that recall done but to be honest I'd have to look through past paper work on the car to be certain. I've had so many issues with this car I pretty much gave up and vouled to never be another GM... unfortunate  because I'm a union worker and am pro union and pro USA. I know this car is mostly Korean built but at least I was buying into a us car manufacturer, but it seemed to bite me in the behind... I will look into that recall, I'll admit I do not know what that is though. I can't seem to pin it down to a constant when it happens. It's very  sporadic and random. Sometimes it will happen once and be fine for months, other times I literally have to shut the car off dozens of times before it clears. It sounds wild but could it possibly be poor fuel grade and maybe in need of a new knock sensor? Just throwing it out there for the heck of it. Thanks!

The PCV recall was the most important recall. Make sure you had this done,,if not..well, you are looking at a new engine warranty or not. The PCV issue that was fixed by replacing that PCV valve..the issue on PCV failure was engine being flooded with oil at intake..destroying upper engine and excessive oil consumption..chek that NOW so it can be ruled out or in..K?

Even though the PCV is important to get done, thats not the issue for the reduced power issue. Reduced power is normally set when the signal between the accelerator module and the throttle module don't match. Because the Spark, like most GM vehicles, is drive by wire its a safety measure to keep the car from taking off on its own. It can be set by other things but with GM it is almost always the pedal module or throttle module. 

Edited by Ray Dockrey

Robstacles, I was given a case number as well at one point and an agent through GM to work with. Unfortunately all I got was the run around. They would basically put every issue on a week long delay and play the phone tag game. I called 1-800- lemon law after it acted up the fourth time. Long story short I got a cash settlement from GM. I'd rather have a working vehicle that I payed for... it seems as if it's a flawed design and GM just doesn't want to own up to it. I even explained that when I'm trying to merge on the highway I'm liable to end up killed... that's probably cheaper for GM and better for their ego. I just had hoped that 5 years later the bugs would have been sorted out and I could finally fix this turd.