I live in a pretty hot area.  If I park in the shade and run the AC for five or six minutes, it gets comfortable, and the AC is powerful enough to keep it mostly comfy while I'm driving out in the sun.  If I don't sit in the shade first, though, it just barely keeps the heat off.  However, I'm moving to an area that's even hotter.  I tried my shade trick there, and even when I let it get the temperature down, the AC wasn't powerful enough to keep the car cool while I was sitting in traffic.  I've gotta do something to beef it up a little bit.

What options do I have?

Is your A/C system checked out for normal operation? Is there enough refrigerant in the system? Is the compressor functioning properly? The belt which drives the compressor in good condition? 

I am in North-East Florida, and it is 90+ high every day now with lot of humidity. My 2017 Spark is always parked outside and the A/C keeps comfortably cool inside. When first getting into the parked car in sun, I turn up the blower fan one notch higher, and after a few minutes it is down to minimum blower speed. 

I can have it checked out I guess.  I live in Mexico, out in the desert.  Are the AC systems the same on the '17s  and the '10s?  I crank shut off the vents except for the driver side, blast the AC on full for, like I said, at least five whole minutes to bring the temp down (doesn't help that the car is black).  Sitting in the shade while I do that, though, makes a world of difference.  Without it, it's just not quite enough.