Hi, brand new owner of a 2015 Chevy Spark LS 5 speed.  Purchased in early March or this year with about 6K miles and I have put about 3K on it since.  I like the car.  I have been averaging about 40 miles per gallon, right on the dot, with about a 80/20 highway to city blend.... 

Just a couple minor issues.  

Number 1)  Is there any way to control the airflow so I get the outside air to constantly go through the car??  Every car that I have had in my 25 years of driving would allow me to adjust the venting/heating and air flow so that when I was traveling in the car, I could utilize the outside air to flow into the car.  The faster the car would go, the more air that would flow thru the car.  I don't seem to have that option with the Spark.  I have used every combination possible and still, no direct airflow thru the vehicle.  As a result, I get a constant fog on the front windshield.  Not only is it annoying, it is a little unsafe because I have to constantly use a rag to get it off.  I turn on the fans of heating/air system, and this helps a little, but nothing like just using the outside air to do this.  Am I missing something??

Number 2)  I have two outside parking places in my condo complex.  They are safe, however somewhat near the trash area.  After the first couple of weeks of owning the car, I just popped the hood to take a look at the engine.  I noticed what appeared to be some yellow insulation (very tiny amount, maybe a tablespoon amount ) that appeared to be chewed by a mouse or something similar, with some of the fragments still sitting on top of the engine.  Upon closer inspection, it seemed to come from the soundproofing right above the manifold.  I googled this, and saw a lot of info about how some of the engine parts, particularly hoses, that have been switched from oil based components to soy based.  Soy apparently is like dessert to mice.  I rubbed the "chewed" area with a little bit of motor oil, and since then, have not seen any insulation or other evidence that the rodents have caused.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or assistance.

4 hours ago, metfan said:

It is off.  I guess I should have included that information.  It just seems that practically no air seems to come thru the vents, even when the windows are cracked, or 1/4 to 1/2 way down either.

Living in Florida, my windows are always up and A/C on. But I will check the airflow next time I drive the car.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, metfan said:

It is off.  I guess I should have included that information.  It just seems that practically no air seems to come thru the vents, even when the windows are cracked, or 1/4 to 1/2 way down either.

OK so I looked at my 2017 Spark's (outside) airflow control. Our other car has 2 separate buttons for choosing between open or close to outside air. My Spark has no such buttons. So I conclude and concur with Mr.tozzi that turning of A/C but leaving the fan running at chosen speed would bring in some outside air. 

I would add that make sure the cabin filter is not clogged.

3 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Bobby, do you not have a single "recirculate" button on the dash like earlier Sparks?..

Yes RoG you are right again! There is a "Recirculation" button at center of the fan speed control bezel.

Which means to get lots of outside air flowing in,

1. Make sure the outside air intake under windshield is clear with no leaves or other debris.

2. Set Air Delivery Mode Control to desired position, such as face or feet etc.

3. Turn A/C off, the button light will be off. (No point running A/C if sucking in

outside air).

4. Push the "Recirculation" button to turn OFF recirculation  button light off.

5. Set the fan speed to something higher to push more air through.

Edited by Bobby MSME
8 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

Yes RoG you are right again! There is a "Recirculation" button at center of the fan speed control bezel.

1. Make sure the outside air intake under windshield is clear with no leaves or other debris.

3. Turn A/C off, the button light will be off. (No point running A/C if sucking in

outside air).

8 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

outside air).

Thats exactly how I run mine most of the time. I don't drive it during the hot times of the day, just early morning and late afternoon so my ac is mostly off all the time.

Thanks for the information folks.  There is no debris under the windshield, and I checked the cabin air filter and looks fine as well.  Maybe the front design of the car limits the amount of outside air that can flow thru the Spark.  Like I said, not a big problem, just I'm used to more air flow.  Again, thanks!

2 hours ago, metfan said:

Thanks for the information folks.  There is no debris under the windshield, and I checked the cabin air filter and looks fine as well.  Maybe the front design of the car limits the amount of outside air that can flow thru the Spark.  Like I said, not a big problem, just I'm used to more air flow.  Again, thanks!

Yeah, small car-small air flow! May be set fan speed higher as a last resort.

A joke from long time ago...What is a 460 air conditioner? Roll down 4 windows and drive at 60 mph :lol:

On 7/26/2017 at 8:27 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

Bobby, do you not have a single "recirculate" button on the dash like earlier Sparks?..

Just curious....Are/Were you a long time poster on the Saturn Vue Blog?   Just curious....

On 7/27/2017 at 3:05 PM, metfan said:

Just curious....Are/Were you a long time poster on the Saturn Vue Blog?   Just curious....

Nope..Only Spark and Land/Range Rover forums..Not much on the rover forum..boring stuff....OH...and no facebook, myspace, yourspace, myface, clouds of any kind, twitter or any other social media non...zero..zip.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead