Termostat & AC

New here.  Helping my son with his girlfriend's Spark.  Her car was over heating.  Thermostat was stuck shut.  Parts weren't available in Laredo and she needed to get back to school so one of her relatives pulled the thermostat out of the housing (breaking the wire connection to the connector).  Removing the thermostat got her back on the road.  That was this winter.  Now that it's hot out (we're in TX) she's commented her AC isnt working and she thinks it quit when her relative took the thermostat out.  The codes it's throwing are:

P0693 - Fan 2 control circuit low

P0128 - Colant thermostat (coolant temp below thermostat regulating temperature)

P0597 - Thermostat heater control circuit / open

Those all sound like replacing the thermostat/housing would clear them.  Does it make sense they'd also be keeping her AC from coming on?

Edited by RobF
On 7/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, RobF said:

Those all sound like replacing the thermostat/housing would clear them.  Does it make sense they'd also be keeping her AC from coming on?

Yes, have the thermostat replaced. "P0693 - Fan 2 control circuit low" will prevent the A/C from working. "P0128 - Colant thermostat (coolant temp below thermostat regulating temperature)" will prevent engine from maintaining and keeping correct operating temp...So, replace that thermostat or have it done and checked.

Awesome, thanks for the reply Gearhead.  We'd already ordered the thermostat / housing assembly, I just wasnt sure if I needed to continue looking for cause of AC problem.  By the way, part was $143 @ Autozone or $33 @ RockAuto.com.  Same AC Delco part!

I did notice there's a blue paper type gasket on it currently.  The AC Delco housing we ordered shows an O-ring in the picture.  I'm assuming no paper gasket is needed with that.  Correct?

Ok, thermostat replaced.  Cleared the codes and all good now and AC is working again.  Checked the AC pressures and they were good.  Test drove it and it was blowing cold so she's happy now.

Edited by RobF

Spoke too soon...  Looks lime the new thermostat/housing assembly only cleared the P0597 - Thermostat heater control circuit / open code.  The other two codes:

P0693 - Fan 2 control circuit low

P0128 - Colant thermostat (coolant temp below thermostat range)

reappeared after about 1.5 to 2 hours of driving and the compressor clutch quit engaging again.

Without a service manual I'm guessing ad causes, but am assuming now that P0128 is a coolant temperature sensor issue.  I googled to find specs to test it but didn't find any.  Since the sensor os only $20, I decided I'd replace it and hope it clears both remainimg codes.  Will know when part gets in tomorrow.

Kudos to you for being able to find all those sensors!

I would not know if one hit me on the head.

I think there are too many sensors, to control too many things in cars now-a-days. I would just as soon control A/C manually. Less things to fail and go wrong.

The one thing which is really useful is engine temp. And guess what, there is no old fashioned temp gauge in my 2017 Spark. I would trade that for the Tach in a minute. I can tell from the sound how fast my engine is revving. But I would not know if the car is overheating until a hose goes bust and steam is everywhere.

May be I will look into an analog temp gauge I can add on. 

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 4 years later...

I am having the same issue but I have replaced both the thermostat & the coolant sensor and had codes cleared but the check engine light came on again and it is giving P0128 code still, O'reillys try to clear it but came up permanent code. I read on the permanent codes that the computer has to run through a cycle first. The check engine light went off and AC started working but stop again and the check engine light came back on this morning. Any ideas what could be causing it.