Hello Fellow Spark Owners!

I just found out today that a recall was in effect by the NHTSA for the 2016-2017 chevrolet spark regarding the front passenger airbag deployment (Canada and US only).

Source: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V307

The files attached to this post are taken from the above-mentioned website.

NHTSA_Safety_Issues.pdf

RCAK-17V307-2294.pdf

RCMN-17V307-7791.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 6:19 AM, sparkjay said:

Thanks for the update, I'll probably put that one off then.  My kids are older and are always wearing seatbelts.

If you're ever in an accident where the airbags are supposed to go off and for some reason, the passenger airbag doesn't, insurance can deny the claim since you had an open recall that you never took care of.

It's free so I'm just going to get mine taken care of with my next oil change.

Edited by Eric1984
8 hours ago, Eric1984 said:

If you're ever in an accident where the airbags are supposed to go off and for some reason, the passenger airbag doesn't, insurance can deny the claim since you had an open recall that you never took care of.

Eric, if children are NOT traveling in front seats, the airbags are not an issue.

The problem is not that the airbags won't deploy, it is opposite. They deploy with too much force for a child in front seats.

15 hours ago, Eric1984 said:

Front passenger air bag will only deploy with a passenger on the seat. 

Insurance company does not have any saying on why an air bag deployed or did not deploy, modern air bags use a quite complicated system to determine if they should deploy or not deploy. If insurance companies could deny a claim over something like that they would be the ones sending you recall letters.

Like bobby said, on the spark the air bag will deploy, but it could hurt a child, but should not hurt an adult.