Mystery Coolant Light & now Malfunction Indicator Light

Guest Jksbrri

Hello!  We have a 2013 Chevy Spark that we bought used from the Chevy dealer barely 5 months ago.   We don't drive long distances...just around town.  We live in Florida, so AC is almost always on.  We haven't had any issues until about 2 weeks ago, when my mother used the car to a Dr appt.  On the way home, the Coolant Light came on and the sirens were blaring...scaring her obviously!  She called me and we figured out the coolant she needed to buy at the auto store.  She told me the coolant tank was BONE DRY....which is strange because I've had it in for It to be fully maintained and as far as I knew all fluids were good.  Everything was fine until one week ago when I turned the car on, got a phone call and sat in the car for about 2 minutes with the car ON, then hung up, pulled out and the coolant light turned on and the sirens went crazy for about a minute and then stopped before I could even pull over!      I had no problem getting to the store after that.  We made an appt for that day at our Chevy dealer and they said they couldn't find any electronic record of EITHER EVENT in the computer system!  They were trying to save us money, which right now is of utmost importance, by avoiding the expensive diagnostic test that would probably not show much because nothing was going wrong at the time and there were no lights on or even any record of the problems.  But, then today, my mother and I were coming home from her heart surgeons office and the same Coolant Light and siren started but turned off even before we pulled over.  We turned the car off.  When we turned it on to make it home, the Malfunction Indicator Light came on!  I'm so frustrated and worried because this could not have happened at a worse time!  I also noticed that when we turn the car off, there's a knocking noise that comes from the glove box area....does anyone have any info to offer?  Thanks ahead of time for your help!  

Coolant tank leaks are a known issue on some of the smaller Chevy's including the spark. Look for coolant around tank, but have it checked out for that issue. Coolant tank is a fairly cheap fix both parts and labor. Knocking sound on engine turn off sometimes indicated a hot engine...Have that resolved ASAP and keep checking the coolant tank and top off if required until you have that fixed. Tozzi has some xtra details that are to listen to as well.

• 1 month later...