Brakes making a knocking sound

Hello :noobie:. I bought a used 2015 Spark a couple weeks ago with 22,800 miles on it.  Today I noticed a knocking sound ..sometimes.. after I hit the brake pedal and before it stops, like when slowing down.  No squealing or anything, just a few knocks and that's it.  It doesn't do it every time I hit the brakes. Any idea what it might be?  I'm calling the dealership on Monday, praying it's covered under warranty!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you certain the knocking sound is from brakes and not the engine compartment or body suspension? If it is, it could be a warped or defective disks or malfunction in the drum brakes, or defective brake pads which have flaked off. 

If car is under bumper to bumper warranty, any brake malfunction should be covered by the warranty. Beyond 36k miles and 36 months, probably not covered.

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tina said:

I am having the same problem with my 2017 Spark (only 8,000 miles on it).  Same knocking sound as described above.  

Schedule a visit to the dealer. Your car should be covered by bumper to bumper warranty. Hopefully you can re-create the problem at the dealership. 

• 4 years later...

I’m having the same issues with my 2021 Spark. There is a knocking or popping in the rear when I’m going slow and engage the brake petal. I’ve taken my car to the dealer 3 times and finally on the 3rd time it actually makes the noise. Previously I was told there is nothing wrong because they couldn’t hear the sound. Even upon inspection they can’t find anything. Then the dealer did replace something  in the front axle. Still not fixed. The sound is from the back and only when I engage the brakes at a low speed. 
I’ve taken the car to the dealer multiple times - I need this issue fixed BEFORE my warranty expires and I’ve spend almost a year trying to get this issue fixed. It’s just getting worse .