After 2013 model, Spark problems have tapered off!

2 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Final words..My 2013 Spark auto tranny has about 130Kmi and I know 2 Pizza guys who have well over 175Kmi same 2013 auto tranny..none have ever has any issue..2014-2016 has had one CVT issue after another.

From what I gather, 2013 issues were mainly about oil consumption, and not about the transmission. Probably from people who did not bother to do the recalls. If there was a choice, I would have preferred the geared tranny but in 2017 that is not an available option. I am just too old to put up with a manual tranny. So far, I have no problem with the CVT in my 2017. Actually I like how it performs. I hope it will last 7 years, 70k miles, which is my average trade-in time. I am more worried about me lasting 7 years, since my warranty expired long time ago :)

Edited by Bobby MSME
16 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

From what I gather, 2013 issues were mainly about oil consumption, and not about the transmission. Probably from people who did not bother to do the recalls. If there was a choice, I would have preferred the geared tranny but in 2017 that is not an available option. I am just too old to put up with a manual tranny. So far, I have no problem with the CVT in my 2017. Actually I like how it performs. I hope it will last 7 years, 70k miles, which is my average trade-in time. I am more worried about me lasting 7 years, since my warranty expired long time ago :)

Ya Bobby, I know how you feel..I'm not that old at 65yrs and retired at 50yrs old, but my warranty expired way back in the 80's some time as well. I pretty well think the CVT issues were all ironed out in the 2017's..Good long torque curve 1.4L aluminum engine helped that issue quite a bit. I also don't like manuals..specially in a small engine due to constant shifting in traffic..younger members like that the way we did back in the day of the V8..sporty. I have test driven the 2017 CVT and found it much improved and very smooth at all speeds..just had one rolling stop where it never dropped to first and kinda chugged off until it revved up and dropped to first then a higher ratio like second..very low rpm's on the highway..something like 2Krpm at 60mph where my 2013 is at 2,700-3,000. The 4speed auto tranny is very solid and responsive with very little slip compared to others I have owned. At 65mph a quick boot down will quickly drop down one or two gears and run at 4-5Krpm's++ and solidly accelerates to 100mph and will come back up to fourth gear (overdrive) at about 85mph. Solid body and suspension on all years and at 130Kmi mine still has fairly clean oil at 7,500mi on synthetic without burning more than 1/4 qt or less..still the same compression and smooth idle and same power as it was when new..totally surprised me with the small high rpm engine that i really drive hard with constant boot downs to accelerate..No real issues and the brake pads lasted longer than any car I have ever had..maybe due to the light weight..got about 60-65K mi out of the factory pads and rotors..OK..'Nuff said on that..gotta work on the boat today..lotsa dirty work with fixtures, aux electrical and some furniture replacement and fixing the A/C and fridge cleanup at the dirty back..hot in there until I get the A/C going properly...