Anyone had success playing music via MP3 player?

Have any of you Spark drivers played music on the Spark's radio from a MP3 player? I have a Sansa Fuze MP3 player and it has tons of my favorite music stored. However when I connected the MP3 player to the USB port in the car, it would not see any music files from the Sansa. It however was electrically connected because the Sansa player indicated it's battery was getting charged by the car's electrical system, which jives with the car manual. The cable I used to connect the MP3 is the same I use to connect it to my computer and it works fine. Since the Spark did not come with a CD player, the MP3 route is the only option to play my personal music files.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Format the USB drive to 16 fat if it is formatted to Apple extended or some other format this is what to do..then as Tozzi said..just put the MP3's on it..works just fine and I use several smaller capacity USB drives that have different types of music as well as a bigger capacity stick with a variety of maps re-scaled to fit the screen. 3rd party player like yours are mostly not recognized by the MyLink the way Apple players and Phones are.

4 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

Need to set the sansa from mtp to msc, and it should work as the radio would now see it as a thumb drive.

If it does not work then your only option is to connect on the aux cable.

Thanks Mr.tozzi----->that works like a charm!

The Audio options on the Infotainment system of the Spark is very good.

It allows searching or selecting any music file, and all the details of the song on screen.

This makes me quite happy...I can now listen to Mozart & other great music every time I drive the Spark. I came across a fantastic 12 hour recording of Mozart concert and edited it down to about

5 hours of the absolute best parts using Audacity. The musicians in that concert were fantastic! 

51 minutes ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Format the USB drive to 16 fat if it is formatted to Apple extended or some other format this is what to do..then as Tozzi said..just put the MP3's on it..works just fine and I use several smaller capacity USB drives that have different types of music as well as a bigger capacity stick with a variety of maps re-scaled to fit the screen. 3rd party player like yours are mostly not recognized by the MyLink the way Apple players and Phones are.

Good morning Gearhead! Basically I set the MP3 player to MSC mode through it's settings.

Then copied MP3 music files from my computer to the Sansa Fuze MP3 player. Plugged it

into the car's USB socket, and the system recognized the USB source right away.

Many thanks for taking trouble to post!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, Bobby MSME said:

Good morning Gearhead! Basically I set the MP3 player to MSC mode through it's settings.

Then copied MP3 music files from my computer to the Sansa Fuze MP3 player. Plugged it

into the car's USB socket, and the system recognized the USB source right away.

Many thanks for taking trouble to post!

OK..glad it worked....USB sticks are cheap and can store maps movies and music..best and most simple method. I have about 6 with maps, different music and a few movies. Formats that can be played are described in the owners manual..I know nothing about formats or computers and if I can do it..well..you get my drift... I will not be active on this forum each early morning as I usually am..working on the boat for a cruise to the Caribbean islands and maybe up to NYC so I need to get engines ship shape and have some fittings and furniture replaced as well as new fridge and maybe a .50cal for the deck..Pirates everywhere now...It's OK..I'm licensed for all kinds of stuff except my wife may object and have to resort to my carry permits..but I hate to carry..'Nuff said..got computer and WiFi on the boat..