finklejag

New flip key for my 2017 LS

10 posts in this topic

I bought a new flip key from ikeyless and had my dealer laser cut it for free. Now I can unlock and lock the drivers door with the remote. Super easy to program. Just insert your original key and turn the car ON. Then remove it and insert the new key and start the engine. Enjoy your new flip key!

IMG_3862_zpsg17u4nxa.jpg

Edited by finklejag

Never knew we could get one of those without having power locks. How much was the key?

The LS driver side door has a power lock only. Do you notice that it locks on drive off and unlocks when you remove the key? The key was $56.00 shipped.

3 hours ago, finklejag said:

Do you notice that it locks on drive off and unlocks when you remove the key? 

Yeah, I noticed that but I don't really consider that power locks. By power locks, I meant being able to unlock the passenger door as well as the driver door with a key fob. Shouldn't be that hard to make the passenger power, though.

Edited by Eric1984

This is very intriguing. The LS model also doesn't have a remote open or unlock for the rear hatch, despite the fact that the latch is electrically operated when you use the key. This suggests possibilities to remotely open the trunk:

Get the 4 button version, with the button to open the trunk.

Get the 3 button version, and install the LT trim panel and the release button.

Get the 3 button version, and drill/install a release button into the existing LS trim panel.

Like to remind all members to please be courteous to each other. This is a great site and would like it to stay that way. 

tfraser3 likes this

So my wife bought her a Spark LS yesterday. She is a hospice nurse and drives wads of miles. We thought this would be a good car for her to drive until the wheels fall off of. Anyway I'm very intrigued by the flip key and fob. Not to worried about most of the lacking amenities but keyless entry would be very handy for her. She carries a lot of stuff in and out of patients houses and the keyless would be a great help on her return trip to the car. I'm curious did the dealer program the transponder when they cut it or does the car do this when you train it? I would assume the training is just for the keyless entry and not the transponder. 

Edited by Gomer

On 3/28/2017 at 9:47 PM, Eric1984 said:

Yeah, I noticed that but I don't really consider that power locks. By power locks, I meant being able to unlock the passenger door as well as the driver door with a key fob. Shouldn't be that hard to make the passenger power, though.

That would be central locking Eric, and can be done easily with a cheap door lock kit  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220PRPDL45/Audiovox-PRO-PDL-45-door-lock-actuators.html

since one door is powered and has a locking pin with a rod it would activate the other doors. The only pita is running the wires to the doors and finding spots to mount the actuators.

How much the dealer charge for cutting the key?

Has anyone else accomplish this through ikeyless.com. I called the dealer and they are clueless with regards to the door being powered.