need help here, new to the forum

Hello, greetings from Brunei. :D

I need help regarding the problem I have with my chevy spark 1.0L.

I own the car around 6months now, I got it from a friend of mine. The mileage at that time is around 80k++ if i remember correctly(now 110k+). The first few months it was doing great, then after it hits 90k, Its starting to make this hissing sound from the water tank reservoir, the coolant level went down rapidly and when I visually inspect it, I found out, one of the hose is leaking, so I replaced it, and I also replaced the whole spare tank as it went bad ank look rusty, bought it around $34bnd($27usd). The old tank coolant need to be filled each time before I went for a drive. Since Ive replaced the tank into a new one, it is still doing the same thing, each time after turning off the engine, it is making hissing sound from the tank, but only for a brief amount of time. The only difference is that, the coolant level would only be a little less, rather than the old tank, which drains the coolant completely after each drive(I drove everyday to work around 1.5-2 miles).

my question is, what do i need to check regarding the hissing sound? How to troubleshoot the problem? And what do i need to concern?

sorry if my english is bad. I did try my best to make it understandable.. XD

1 hour ago, GAmalide1 said:

Hello, greetings from Brunei. :D

I need help regarding the problem I have with my chevy spark 1.0L.

[Snipped]

my question is, what do i need to check regarding the hissing sound? How to troubleshoot the problem? And what do i need to concern?

sorry if my english is bad. I did try my best to make it understandable.. XD

Your English is fine! first thing to check is the coolant tank cap for hissing sound. Might need a new cap. If that's not the problem then try to find the exact location of the sound and check for places where coolant has been leaking....That's about as far as I can go on this with the info you supplied...

Alright, Thanks for responding quickly, I'll try to replace the cap, and if the hissing sound is still there, what else do i need to check? (I just got back from work, and realise that water coming out of the nozzle near the cap, its boiling the coolant, is it normal? Because i did not overfill the tank, the coolant level before is exactly in line with the indication.)

If it's coming out of the overflow tube located on the tank on the wheel side of the car..the nozzle without a hose attached and the coolant is boiling then there is most likely not enough pressure in the system..probably the coolant tank cap or a radiator leak. Ya gotta find the source of the leak or hissing noise to find out where the problem is...I suspect the coolant tank cap..try taking it off and make sure the rubber washer is in there and that it screws on properly and a bit tight..try those things first.

i changed the tank cap, the hissing sound reduces a little bit, but I suspect theres more to the problem than just the tank cap, any idea on how to check further? To add, the hissing sound can be heard when i release the pedal, if i accelerate, it will dissappear at some point, but comes back again. I hope that this will give you the idea.

Update: I think its okay now, the mechanic said it was a bad thermostat, he even showed me, it was all rusty. For now he said no need to use the thermostat, is tht a good idea? He explained tht thermostat is to be used in cold country (I live in south east asia, near to the equator, so its tropical climate(mostly hot)) I did some research and mostly the people would not recommend it. Any opinion? A thermostat here cost about $100, that is roughly around $80usd, that includes the housing, they dont sell the thermostat separately.