• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2017 at 11:43 AM, Mr.tozzi said:

Looking at the rust on the last picture it looks like a pad slap job.

next question

going to tackle the brakes next weekend. this being the first time i switch then out should i switch out the discs ?

2013 with close to 59,000 the last year its seen a fair amount of trips to vegas and mexico.

Edited by Lovgun7
14 hours ago, Klhuffman said:

no matter what when your doing brakes, always put on new pads AND rotors. never just do one and leave the other.

I know this from experience and working at a dealership

I don't usually take the advice of a delership tech due to the reputation of a lot of dealers that like to charge for unecessary work. 

But on the spark, it makes sense to replace both due to the price.

7 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

I don't usually take the advice of a delership tech due to the reputation of a lot of dealers that like to charge for unecessary work. 

my thoughts exactly.

picked up upgraded brakes & discs for $100 from Carid ebay

thank you sir

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:21 AM, Mr.tozzi said:

that's fine and all most people feel that way about dealers and techs from dealers.

but why would you ever replace one with out the other?? if one is bad, the other is bad no matter what..

no matter what the car, truck or van, always do both . if not you will pay for it down the road when your new pads rubbing on old shitty rotors decide to go ...

listen or don't listen.. don't matter to me. just personal experience from working in and out of dealers .

On 3/30/2017 at 0:29 PM, Klhuffman said:

that's fine and all most people feel that way about dealers and techs from dealers.

but why would you ever replace one with out the other?? if one is bad, the other is bad no matter what..

no matter what the car, truck or van, always do both . if not you will pay for it down the road when your new pads rubbing on old shitty rotors decide to go ...

listen or don't listen.. don't matter to me. just personal experience from working in and out of dealers .

gotta disagree... i have and have had a 96 sentra... switched out discs every 3 brake pad changes, 89 camaro switched out discs once in the 8 years i had it... 71 challenger have yet to switch out the discs since 08 lol but its a weekend warrior. The spark has such cheap parts that its a no brainer

On 3/30/2017 at 3:29 PM, Klhuffman said:

if not you will pay for it down the road when your new pads rubbing on old shitty rotors decide to go ...

Pads will not wear any different on new or old rotors. Rotors have to be resurfaced when putting new pads on, so they are flat, they also need to be measured to ensure they have enough material to run a new set of pads. 

It seems like your experience is with people that let their brakes go way too far gone before changing, or some folks who like to just slap new pads on scored rotors.

Ya..Tozzi has that right and nothing worse than new pads on a warped or badly scored rotor. A warped rotor with new pads being thicker than worn will just pulsate the fluid pressure and most likely be felt even while not applying the brakes. Badly scored rotors wil just wear the pads down more quickly..so no savings there... These days, resurfacing, in most cases has become more expensive than a new rotor set due to higher labor costs to resurface and now many shops don't even bother to buy the expensive lathe to do the resurfacing work.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:15 AM, Mr.tozzi said:

Pads will not wear any different on new or old rotors. Rotors have to be resurfaced when putting new pads on, so they are flat, they also need to be measured to ensure they have enough material to run a new set of pads. 

It seems like your experience is with people that let their brakes go way too far gone before changing, or some folks who like to just slap new pads on scored rotors.

ok this i agree with lol. Resurfacing a rotor is a must. Replacing after every brake pad change... not so much

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the torque specs to do a brake job. Lug nuts, caliper bracket bolts, pin bolts? I've looked everywhere but I can't find them. I even subscribed to ALLDATADIY.com but they don't have the specs. I can't find a service manual and the factory service manual is over $400.