2016 chevy spark ls ecu check engine light

couldn't start car, accessories came on couldn't turn engine over tired twice  popped the hood then shut it,  then car started with check engine light came on took it to autozone they said it was the ecu. got my sub removed before i took it in didn't want to void warranty, gave my keys to the guy who installed my sub he had it for maybe 3  mins u guess the code went away??? but we argued i was blaming him for his install he said he had the same code reader to reset the error code, so it's possible he reset it real quick to claim me down. hasn't came back on yet.. 

Edited by Sophia Nicole Pifher

Dear Nicole,

You need to get a code reader, or get the codes read and write them down in the sequence they appear in the reader.   There are a number of sources online which will tell you what systems the codes relate to.   Without causing a firestorm with environnmentalists, most codes can be ignored and relate to the emissions system, much of the time relating to loose gas caps, or overfilling at the pump.  Anyone with a good OBDII  pronounced OH BEE DEE TWO. can read codes and erase them in about a minute.   The data port for plugging the reader in is close to the driver seat.   Go to autozone and watch someone do it.     We have 8 vehicles in our family fleet and I would go broke going to dealers for diagnostics at $150 a crack and having a code cleared because of a loose gas cap.     The dealers love women because they take these check engines lights seriously and it is a cash cow for them and techs alike.  

So having said that a lot of code reading are environmentally related, the first two digits of the code tell you what system it relates to.   So when you get a code erased, write it down go to the internet and look it up.   You can get an online subscription to alldata for a your spark  for about $30.00 which is the service manual many techs will use to work on a car.   It will give the meaning of the code and what the troubleshooting is for repairing the problem if necessary.   I am not a licensed mechanic but I rebuilt an aveo head and engine with help from alldata.   They seem to have really good infomration on late model GM vehicles.   Good luck and enjoy your spark.,

Wouldn't worry too much Sophia-Nicole. Check engine is mostly related to emissions..can even happen with an open gas cap...just keep an eye on it..may have something to do with all the mods you have done.. Might even be good to disconnect the + on your battery overnite as that will most likely clear up any bugs/settings from your electrical work...

Edited by Retired old Gearhead