So I just bought a new Spark

Today, I just bought a 2016 Spark 2LT 5 speed manual, in black. Honestly, I was sold as zoo as I saw it. It really is IMO one of the best looking micro mini sub sub compact cars I've been researching. The ride quality was more than I expected along with the amenities it came with... The sunroof and "leather" is a very nice touch too. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. 

For sure it does not have the HP of the others but I'm not buying the car for speed. csnt wait to break it in!!

Welcome Jeff!...saw your pix..jet black and I like the new added chrome handles and window trim..looks like good wheels as well. Wise to get the proven good manual tranny. The engine is all aluminum, a new trend in the automotive world & more rigid as well as a more rigid body it should handle very well with the stock set-up. A lot of people forget it has tilt steering that I find handy in my 2013. My suggestion would be to give it some gas during break in and then change the oil to synthetic at the first 1,000 miles to get rid of the factory 'trim-off' shavings then stick with any full synthetic..oil monitor works well..I tested it over about 7,500mi and was accurate, dropping a percent each 60-100mi depending on short or long trips and temp. Because it is a light car..brakes last quite a while and acceleration is adequate at all speeds and you will be surprised how fast you end up driving at higher speeds. Engine operating design is proven the all aluminum not so much..but I think they have a winner with that series of engine. A little ±4 bucks Walmart green bottle of 'pro-shine' tire dressing sprayed on a cool clean engine will keep it from the white oxidation aluminum is prone to and keep it looking like new without harming the rubber..I have almost 100Kmi on our little 2013 4sp auto and no real issues...Enjoy the car and don't baby it on the roads..Look after the car and the car looks after you.'Nuff said on that.

Thank you so much for all the advise! I will follow it! I wonder if the dealer offers synthetic oil options in service... I'll find out.

I plan on keeping this little bugger for a while. I'll keep you posted!

If you want synthetic oil....just ask for it. Bit more pricey, but if you plan to keep the car beyond 100Kmi and want the best gas mileage..then just ask for Synthetic and check your dipstick..synthetic is completely clear, so it should show as more clear than conventional oil. Still slightly amber due to some old oil remaining in the engine and make sure they don't overfill by more that 1/4" above the fill line.

I like it! Nice chrome trim and I like the added chrome exhaust port...With the new 1.4 ridged all aluminum engine and the new, tight body, 5speed manual..I think you have a winner with no CVT issues to deal with..looks alot like a smaller version of the Sonic with the added advantage of easy parking and handling in tight spots. The silver wheels nicely contrast the body color and I could never understand why some owners of black vehicles swap out the perfectly good wheels for black rims at great expense.

Thank you all for the compliments. I gotta say I'm having an absolute blast driving him around. The manual trans is the key I think because you have more control over RPMs and shifting. I also like the chrome as I think it gives a little classic feel. It's also got the "leather " interior and a sunroof which is even better. So far very pleased!!

Thank you and same to you! I believe I saw you on another spark forum as well! 

This weekend I'm adding some fatmat to the rear trunk area to see if cuts back any road noise. It's not bothersome but figured I'd try it out. 

I also want want to find an aftermarket roof rack system.

• 2 months later...

My New toy. LS Now adding power door locks and keyless entry. I now have the remote start working, have the bcm working the drivers door and hatch. added output wire for the remaining door, and programed turned on by gm and waiting for factory latches with power locks and harness. It is nice to not have to use the key to open the hatch.

spark.jpg

Very nice..Mike! Did you know that the color paint you have is the most durable of all the non pastel colors? Although not a fan of black rims on a black car it is certainly an improvement over the stock metal with plastic hubcaps...that along with the manual tranny is as good or better that the CVT models...Having done the auto-lock etc..you now have it with the features of the 1LT for a lower price with the more reliable standard tranny...nice job getting the electro doors and latches done!

I looked at the black 2017 but the dealer had already added pinstripes, dark window tint, locking lug nuts and some other nonsense so no deal BUT I just found (online) a grey 2lt at another dealer, hopefully going to check it out sometime this year - M e r r y   C h r i s t m a s !

Edited by OliveOil